A. Scope. This regulation applies when the petitioner specifies that the ballots are to be recounted on vote tabulating equipment.
B. Preparation. The election director shall:
(1) Where applicable, prepare the tabulating unit certified for use in the State;
(2) Assemble all materials needed to conduct the recount; and
(3) Appoint the special teams needed for the recount, assigning a team identifier to each (for example, "Team A", "Team B", etc.).
C. Precount Testing. Immediately before ballots are recounted, the election director shall assign a special team to conduct the appropriate logic and accuracy test.
D. Issuing Ballots.
(1) The election director shall then:
(a) Issue ballots for recounting to the special teams; and
(b) Record in the recount log:
(i) The team identifier;
(ii) The ballots issued to the team; and
(iii) Later, the ballots returned by the team.
(2) Each team may be issued the ballots of only one precinct at a time.
(3) The ballots shall be issued to a team in batches consisting of a controllable number of ballots (for example, 25).
E. Recount Procedure.
(1) Each special team shall:
(a) Retabulate the ballots for the precinct assigned;
(b) Record the vote totals from the precinct on the precinct tally sheet;
(c) Sign the precinct tally sheet; and
(d) Give the precinct tally sheet and retabulated ballots to the election director.
(2) The election director shall then:
(a) Recalculate the totals on the precinct tally sheets; and
(b) Enter those totals on the contest tally sheet.
F. Securing Materials. After each precinct has been recounted, the election director shall:
(1) Secure the ballots from that precinct;
(2) Invite all interested parties to verify the security; and
(3) Place the ballots in a locked area.
(1) After all precincts have been recounted, the election director shall:
(a) Complete and sign the contest tally sheet; and
(b) Present the contest and precinct tally sheets to the local board.
(2) The board shall:
(a) Recalculate the totals reported on the contest tally sheet; and
(b) If the totals are correct, sign the recount certification statement on the contest tally sheet.