A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Agent" means any person authorized to represent an insurer with respect to a claim, and includes a licensed agent.
(2) "Claimant" means the insured or a beneficiary under an insurance policy or contract, or an assignee of the insured or the beneficiary, and includes the claimant's designated legal representative and members of the immediate family of the insured or beneficiary designated by the claimant.
(3) "Insurer" means a person licensed to issue, or who issues, any insurance policy in this State, including a nonprofit health service plan, fraternal benefit society, health maintenance organization, or dental plan organization.
(4) "Investigation" means all activities of an insurer directly or indirectly related to the determination of the insurer's liabilities under coverage afforded by an insurance policy.
(5) "Licensed agent" means a person licensed in accordance with the provisions of Insurance Article, Title 8, Subtitle 4, or Title 10, Subtitle 1, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(6) "Notification of a claim" means notification by a claimant, to an insurer or its agent, in writing or by other means acceptable under the terms of the policy, which reasonably apprises the insurer of the facts pertinent to the claim.
(7) "Policy" means an individual or group policy, contract, or certificate issued by an insurer.