A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Carrier" means an insurer, a nonprofit health service plan, or a health maintenance organization.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Maryland Insurance Commissioner.
(3) "Contract" means either of the following:
(a) A health insurance contract that is issued or delivered in Maryland by an insurer or a nonprofit health service plan that provides inpatient hospital, medical, or surgical benefits to individuals or groups on an expense-incurred basis; or
(b) A contract issued or delivered in Maryland by a health maintenance organization to individuals or groups.
(4) "Health maintenance organization" has the meaning stated in Health-General Article, §19-701, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(5) "Insurer" has the meaning defined in Insurance Article, §1-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(6) "Nonprofit health service plan" means a person who has received a certificate of authority from the Commissioner to act as a nonprofit health service plan in the State.