A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Affiliated insurer" means an insurer that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another insurer.
(2) "Control" means the direct or indirect possession of the power to direct, or cause the direction of, the management and policies of an insurer, regardless of whether the power is exercised by:
(a) Ownership of voting securities or of securities convertible into voting securities;
(b) Contract, other than a commercial contract for goods or nonmanagement services; or
(c) Any other means.
(3) "General increase in premiums" means an increase in premiums because of a change in an insurer's rates or a modification of the insurer's rating plan.
(4) "MIA Form 1006-A" means the notice of premium increase form in Regulation .07 of this chapter that insurers may use for premium increases of 15 percent or less for an entire policy.
(5) "MIA Form 1006-B" means the notice of premium increase form in Regulation .08 of this chapter that insurers may use for premium increases of greater than 15 percent for an entire policy.
(6) "Rating symbol" means a symbol assigned to a make or model of vehicle to reflect the loss experience of that make or model of vehicle.
(a) "Reclassification" means the placement of an insured by an insurer into a different classification based on one or more of the following criteria:
(i) Age, sex, or marital status of an insured;
(ii) Accident or driving record of an insured;
(iii) Usage, including mileage driven, of an insured vehicle; or
(iv) Performance classification (high performance, intermediate performance, and sports type) of an insured vehicle.
(b) "Reclassification" does not include an offer of coverage through an affiliated insurer.
(8) Reduction in Coverage.
(a) "Reduction in coverage" includes:
(i) A reduction of any limit for liability coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, or personal injury protection if the limit is greater than the statutorily required minimum;
(ii) An increase in the deductible for or elimination of comprehensive coverage; or
(iii) A reduction or elimination of towing coverage, rental coverage, or any other coverage.
(b) "Reduction in coverage" does not include:
(i) The elimination of any coverage that is no longer offered by an insurer in accordance with its filed rating plan; or
(ii) Any reduction or elimination of coverage made at the request of the insured.