A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Advisory board" means a group of individuals appointed by the Insurance Commissioner pursuant to Insurance Article, §10-110, Annotated Code of Maryland, to review continuing education courses for insurance producers and to make recommendations regarding the courses.
(2) “Bail bondsman services” means any conduct relating to the sale, solicitation, negotiation, or procurement of a bail bond, and includes the posting of a bail bond.
(3) "Commissioner" means the Insurance Commissioner of Maryland.
(4) “Course” means a presentation of information delivered in person, in print, electronically, or via teleconference, the successful completion of which is measured by verifiable attendance or by examination, or both.
(5) “Course completion date” means the date when a student has submitted all necessary information to the education provider and, when applicable, successfully met the course attendance requirements or passed the final examination, or both.
(6) “Course completion roster” means a listing of candidates who have completed a continuing education course, provided in a format determined by the Commissioner, which includes the following:
(a) The course name, the designated course number, and the course completion date;
(b) The provider’s identification number;
(c) The instructor’s license number, if applicable; and
(d) For each student who completes the course:
(i) The student’s name;
(ii) The student’s national producer number or the student’s license number, or both; and
(iii) The number of hours of continuing education earned by the student.
(7) "Course coordinator" means an individual who is responsible for organizing a continuing education course, getting it approved by the Insurance Commissioner, and supervising the administration of the course after its approval.
(8) “Expiration date” means the date the license expires as stated on the license.
(9) “Hour of continuing education” means 50 minutes of work in a course that has been approved by the Commissioner to receive continuing education credit.
(10) “Instructor” means a subject matter expert, approved by the Commissioner, presenting course activities or information in a course approved by the Commissioner.
(11) "License" has the meaning stated in Insurance Article, §10-101(d), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(12) "Licensed insurance producer" has the meaning stated in Insurance Article, §1-101(w), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(13) "National examination" means an examination given as part of a nationally recognized designation awarded by a national insurance organization, including the:
(a) Life Underwriter Training Council (LUTC) course curricula;
(b) American College diploma curriculum for Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU), Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or Registered Health Underwriter (RHU);
(c) College of Financial Planning diploma curriculum for Chartered Financial Planning (CFP) program;
(d) Insurance Institute of America curriculum for:
(i) Program in General Insurance (INS);
(ii) Associate in Claims Program (AIC);
(iii) Associate in Risk Management Program (ARM);
(iv) Associate in Underwriting Program (AIU);
(v) Associate in Loss Control Management Program (ALCM);
(vi) Accredited Advisor in Insurance Program (AAI);
(vii) Associate Premium Auditing Program (APA); and
(viii) Associate in Research and Planning Program (ARP);
(e) American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) program;
(f) Health Insurance Association of America Program (HIAA);
(g) Academy of Life Underwriting Education Council curriculum for LUEC program; or
(h) Certified Insurance Counselor program (CIC).
(14) “Preneed insurance contract” has the meaning stated in COMAR 31.05.03.03B.
(15) “Provider” means an entity that has been approved by the Commissioner to offer continuing education courses to licensed insurance producers in the State.
(16) “Renewal period” means the period from the issuance or renewal of a license until the day before the expiration date of the license.
(17) "Renewal year" means the 12-month period from January 1 until December 31 in which a license renewal occurs.
(18) “Self-study course” means a course that is not presented in a classroom, is not delivered in person, and does not require interaction with an instructor.
(19) "Successfully complete" means to complete and meet all requirements of an approved course for which a valid certificate of course completion has been issued.
(20) “Teleconference” means the live exchange of information among several persons who are separately located but linked by audio or video, or both, that provides for opportunities for interactions between student and instructor.
(21) “Viatical settlement broker” has the meaning stated in Insurance Article, §8-601(k), Annotated Code of Maryland.