A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Cold rolling operation" means an installation that rolls steel that is not preheated.
(2) "Continuous casting" means a method of pouring liquid steel into semifinished shapes.
(3) "Good management practices" means operating and maintenance practices for controlling processes within design conditions and minimizing air pollution to the extent practicable with existing equipment.
(4) "Hot dip coating" means a molten inorganic formulation used for coating on strip steel.
(5) "Hot rolling operation" means an installation that rolls preheated steel.
(6) Iron and Steel Production Installations.
(a) "Iron and steel production installations" means those installations and buildings used in the production of iron and steel.
(b) As used in this chapter, the term "installation" means an iron and steel production installation.
(c) "Iron and steel production installations" include the following:
(i) Materials-handling systems, including systems for iron ore, ore pellets, coal, limestone, fluxes, sinter, coke, steel-alloying ingredients, slag, and dust handling;
(ii) Blast furnace iron making;
(iii) Sintering plants;
(iv) Basic oxygen furnace, open hearth furnace, and electric furnace steel-making equipment;
(v) Coke ovens;
(vi) Molten material transfer and process operations, including teeming, tapping, reladling, and casting;
(vii) Continuous casting equipment;
(viii) Scarfing and other surface defect removal equipment;
(ix) Blast furnace pig-casting equipment;
(x) Scrap preparation equipment, including scrap melting and burning equipment;
(xi) Molten metal desulfurization equipment;
(xii) Raw material drying system;
(xiii) Steel-cleaning equipment, including pickling; and
(xiv) Steel-coating equipment.
(7) "Opacity record" means the highest average of any 6 consecutive minutes of readings measured and calculated in the manner described in the Department's Technical Memorandum (TM) 91-01 Method 1004I.
(8) "Tons of sinter produced" means the weight of sinter that is transferred to the blast furnace stockhouse during a calendar day.
(9) "Venturi scrubber flow rate" means the water flow rate through the venturi scrubber.
(10) "Venturi scrubber pressure drop" means the arithmetic difference between the static pressures of the gas stream at the inlet and the outlet of the venturi scrubber.