(1) An individual may not practice as an operator or superintendent in a works unless that individual has been certified by the Board in the appropriate classification.
(2) Unless the Department determines that a reasonable potential exists to adversely affect the quality of the receiving body of water or the environment, operators or superintendents working in the following categories need not be certified under this regulation:
(a) Petroleum storage and distribution facilities;
(b) Seafood processors;
(c) Vehicle washing facilities;
(d) Vehicle maintenance facilities;
(e) Sand and gravel facilities;
(f) Stone quarries;
(g) Industries dechlorinating supply water as their only treatment;
(h) Industries discharging only stormwater runoff; and
(i) Industries performing tank or pipe hydrostatic testing.
(3) The Department may require certification of operators and superintendents working in the industrial wastewater works of any individual facility within the categories identified under §A(2)(a)(i) of this regulation.
(4) Certification of operators and superintendents working in pretreatment plants may be required only for those plants that are significant industrial users.
B. Individuals Who Shall Have an Operator or Grandparented Certificate.
(1) Wastewater Treatment Plant and Water Treatment Plant. Individuals who are responsible for one or more of the following tasks shall be certified as water treatment plant or wastewater treatment plant operators:
(a) Makes decisions regarding the control of flow, and processing of raw and treated drinking water, wastewater, or sludge, or makes the adjustments that control flow or processing of raw or treated drinking water, wastewater, or sludge;
(b) Observes variations in operating conditions, and interprets meter and gauge readings and test results to determine processing requirements for treatment of drinking water, wastewater, or sludge; or
(c) In the absence of the superintendent or operator in responsible charge, makes operating decisions based on the superintendent's or operator in responsible charge’s directives or on standard operating procedures.
(2) Wastewater Collection System and Water Distribution System. Individuals who are responsible for one or more of the following tasks shall be certified as wastewater collection system or water distribution system operators:
(a) Determines remedial action in emergencies;
(b) In the absence of the superintendent or operator in responsible charge, makes operating decisions based on the superintendent's or operator in responsible charge’s directives or on standard operating procedures; or
(c) Makes the adjustments that control flow of treated drinking water or wastewater, unless directed by an operator in responsible charge or superintendent who is available on-site when the adjustment is made.
(3) Industrial Wastewater Works and Pretreatment Plants. An individual who is responsible for one or both of the following tasks shall be certified as an industrial wastewater works operator:
(a) Makes decisions on operation procedures;
(b) Trains and directs employees to maintain equipment operating procedures.
C. Individuals Who Shall Have a Superintendent Certificate. Individuals appointed to the following positions by an employing or appointing person, county, municipality, sanitary district, or this State shall be certified as superintendents:
(1) Superintendent of the works; or
(2) Assistant superintendent of the works.
D. Employment of Certified Personnel. A person, county, municipality, sanitary district, or this State may not operate a works unless all operators and superintendents as provided in this regulation are certified by the Board.