A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Board" means the State Board of Waterworks and Waste Systems Operators.
(2) "Categorical industrial users" means industrial users subject to pollutant discharge limits promulgated by the Environmental Protection Agency in accordance with §307 of the Clean Water Act that regulates process wastewater.
(a) "Certificate" means a certificate of certification as an operator or superintendent, issued by the Board.
(b) "Certificate" includes:
(i) An operator certificate, as limited by Regulation .06C of this chapter;
(ii) A superintendent certificate, as limited by Regulation .06F of this chapter;
(iii) A temporary certificate, as limited by Regulation .06B of this chapter;
(iv) A grandparented certificate, as limited by Regulation .06D of this chapter; and
(v) A certification renewal card.
(4) "Certified operator" means an operator who has a current operator certificate issued by the Board.
(5) "Certified superintendent" means a superintendent who has a current superintendent certificate issued by the Board.
(6) "Department" means the Department of the Environment.
(7) "Direction" means supervision provided by:
(a) A certified operator located on-site;
(b) A set of site-specific standard operating procedures approved by the Maryland Department of the Environment with a certified operator available on call; or
(c) Direct on-site control.
(8) "Industrial wastewater works" means a facility used to collect, store, pump, treat, or discharge any waste substance that results from:
(a) A manufacturing process;
(b) A business process; or
(c) The development of natural resources.
(a) "Operator" means an individual who participates in the operation of:
(i) A waterworks, including the control of the flow, processing, or distribution of water;
(ii) A wastewater works, including the collection, control of flow, processing, or discharge of wastewater and effluent; or
(iii) An industrial wastewater works, including collection, control of flow, processing, or discharge of industrial wastewater and effluent.
(b) "Operator" does not include a superintendent.
(10) “Operator-in-training” means an individual who has not satisfied the experience, education, and examination requirements that are necessary to receive Operator certification from the Board, and holds a temporary certificate from the Board.
(11) Package Activated Sludge Plant.
(a) "Package activated sludge plant" means a wastewater treatment plant that is determined by the Department to have the following characteristics:
(i) Employs an activated sludge process;
(ii) Its major components are prefabricated at the factory and transported to the site; and
(iii) It is designed with an emphasis on automated operation to minimize on-site supervision required.
(b) Package activated sludge plants shall be designated by the Department on a case-by-case basis.
(12) "Pretreatment plant" means an industrial wastewater works discharging to a wastewater works.
(13) "Responsible charge" means responsibility for the operation and supervision of all or any part of a waterworks, wastewater works, or industrial wastewater works.
(14) "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Environment.
(15) "Significant industrial users" means:
(a) All categorical industrial users subject to categorical pretreatment standards;
(b) Noncategorical industrial users with 25,000 gallons per day or more discharge of process wastewater to the publicly owned wastewater treatment plant;
(c) Noncategorical industrial users which make up 5 percent or more of the dry weather hydraulic or organic capacity of the publicly owned wastewater treatment plant; or
(d) Any industrial user with a reasonable potential to adversely affect the operation of a publicly owned wastewater treatment plant or violating any pretreatment standard or requirement.
(16) "Superintendent" means an individual who is designated by any employing or appointing person, county, municipality, sanitary district, or this State as the individual in responsible charge of a waterworks, wastewater works, or industrial wastewater works.
(17) “Training, Review, and Evaluation Committee” means the committee that is established by the Board to receive, review, and evaluate each application for training approval.
(18) "Wastewater collection system" means that portion of a wastewater works that collects, stores, or pumps any liquid or waterborne waste.
(19) "Wastewater treatment plant" means that portion of a wastewater works that receives, treats, and discharges any liquid or waterborne waste.
(20) Wastewater Works.
(a) "Wastewater works" means a facility used to collect, store, pump, treat, or discharge any liquid or waterborne waste.
(b) "Wastewater works" does not include:
(i) A facility that is used only by a private residence;
(ii) A facility that uses a septic tank or subsoil absorption; or
(iii) An industrial wastewater works.
(21) "Water distribution system" means that portion of the waterworks that receives, stores, pumps, and distributes water for human consumption.
(22) "Water treatment plant" means that portion of the waterworks that collects and treats water for human consumption.
(23) "Waterworks" means a facility used to collect, store, pump, treat, or distribute water for human consumption. "Waterworks" does not include a facility that is used only by a private residence.
(24) "Works" means a specific waterworks, wastewater works, or industrial wastewater works.