A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Commission" means the Public Service Commission of Maryland.
(2) “Company” includes every corporation, association, partnership, group of individuals, or individual owning, controlling, operating, or managing one or more motor vehicles engaged in the transportation of persons for hire over any road between fixed termini, over a more or less regular route, on a more or less fixed schedule, or transportation from point to point that is pre-arranged between the company and a rider.
(3) Motor Vehicle.
(a) "Motor vehicle" includes all vehicles or machines propelled by any power other than muscular used upon the public roads, not on rails, for public transportation of persons for compensation.
(b) "Motor vehicle" does not include a taxicab.
(4) “Operator” means any person engaged in driving a motor vehicle for which a permit has been issued, other than a Transportation Network Operator.
(5) “Owner” means the individual, partnership, carrier, or company to whom a permit has been issued, other than a Transportation Network Company or Transportation Network Operator.
(6) “Permit” means the motor carrier or driver’s permit issued by the Commission.
(7) "Roads" means State or State-aid roads, improved county roads, or streets and roads of incorporated towns and cities in the State.
(8) "State" means the State of Maryland.
(9) “Surge pricing” means the practice of a company applying a multiplier to customer fares for a limited duration.
(10) “Transportation Network Company” or “TNC” means a company that has been issued a permit by the Commission and operates in the State of Maryland using a digital network to connect passengers to Transportation Network Operators for Transportation Network Services.
(11) “Transportation Network Operator” means an individual who:
(a) Has been issued a Transportation Network Operator’s License, or is otherwise authorized, by the Commission to provide Transportation Network Services;
(b) Receives, through a Transportation Network Company’s digital network application, a connection to a potential passenger to transport the passenger between points chosen by the passenger in exchange for the payment of a fee to the Transportation Network Company; and
(c) Uses a motor vehicle that is owned, leased, or otherwise authorized for use by the individual and is approved for use in providing Transportation Network Services by the Commission.
(12) “Transportation Network Services” means:
(a) The activities of a Transportation Network Operator during:
(i) Transportation Network Coverage Period One, during which the Transportation Network Operator is logged onto and ready to accept a prearranged ride request made through a TNC’s digital network application;
(ii) Transportation Network Coverage Period Two, during which the Transportation Network Operator accepts a ride request from a passenger that is prearranged through a TNC’s digital network application, and is traveling to a predetermined location to pick up the passenger; and
(iii) Transportation Network Coverage Period Three, during which the Transportation Network Operator transports the passenger and continuing until the passenger departs the motor vehicle.
(b) “Transportation Network Services” does not include providing taxicab services, sedan services, or limousine services.
(13) “Transportation Network Operator Vehicle” means a vehicle that is used by a Transportation Network Operator to provide pre-arranged passenger transportation services requested through a TNC Platform, using Commission approved motor vehicles and operators.
(14) “TNC Platform” means a digital network application used by a TNC to connect riders to Transportation Network Operators who provide for-hire transportation services for compensation.