A. In this chapter, unless the language or context indicates that a different meaning is intended, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "City" means the City of Cumberland and the City of Hagerstown.
(2) "Commission" means the Public Service Commission of Maryland.
(3) "Company" includes every corporation, association, partnership, group of individuals, or individual, owning, controlling, operating, or managing one or more taxicabs.
(4) "Model year" means the year which appears on the Vehicle Registration Certificate.
(5) "Operator" means a person engaged in driving a taxicab for which a permit has been issued.
(6) "Owner" means the individual, partnership, or company to whom a permit has been issued.
(7) "Permit" means permit issued by the Commission.
(8) "State" means the State of Maryland.
(9) "Taxicab", "taxi", or "cab" means a motor vehicle for hire (other than a vehicle operated, with the approval of the Commission, between fixed termini on regular schedules) designed to carry seven persons or less, including the driver, used for the purpose of accepting or soliciting for transportation members of the public for hire between such points, along the public streets, as the passengers may direct. The fact that a vehicle is hired only by the hour, for periods of 1 hour or longer, is not alone sufficient to exempt it from classification as a taxicab and from the regulations of this subtitle.