A. In this chapter, unless the language or context indicates that a different meaning is intended, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Allocated Space” is a three dimensional space that can accommodate a wheelchair or similar mobility aid.
(2) "Commission" means the Public Service Commission of Maryland.
(3) "Company" includes every corporation, association, partnership, group of individuals, or individual, owning, controlling, operating, or managing one or more taxicabs.
(4) Inspection Certificate.
(a) “Inspection certificate” means a numbered certificate issued in a form authorized by the Maryland State Police and issued by a facility licensed by the Maryland State Police to perform motor vehicle safety inspections, or issued by a facility licensed by an adjacent state or the District of Columbia to perform motor vehicle safety inspections and in a form acceptable to the licensing authority of the adjacent state or the District of Columbia, if the Commission determines or has previously determined that the vehicle inspection standards of that jurisdiction are materially the same as those adopted by the Maryland State Police.
(b) “Inspection certificate” does not include a vehicle inspection report or sticker.
(5) "Model year" means the year which appears on the Vehicle Registration Certificate.
(6) "Operator" means a person engaged in driving a taxicab for which a permit has been issued.
(7) "Owner" means the individual, partnership, or company to whom a permit has been issued.
(8) "Permit" means a permit issued by the Public Service Commission of Maryland authorizing the operation of a motor vehicle as a taxicab subject to any requirements for operation contained in the permit and authorized by this chapter.
(9) "Stand" means any area or space designated for taxicab use by a public authority.
(10) "State" means the State of Maryland.
(11) Taxicab, Taxi, or Cab.
(a) "Taxicab", "taxi", or "cab" means a motor vehicle for hire, (other than a vehicle operated, with the approval of the Public Service Commission, between fixed termini on regular schedules) designed to carry seven persons or fewer, including the driver, used for the purpose of accepting or soliciting for transportation members of the public for hire between such points, along the public streets, as the passengers may direct.
(b) “Taxicab,” “taxi”, or “cab” includes a motor vehicle that is:
(i) Painted, identified, or lettered to resemble the distinctive color scheme or markings of a taxicab;
(ii) Equipped with a rooftop dome light;
(iii) Advertised as a taxicab service;
(iv) Dispatched to pick up a customer calling for a taxicab;
(v) Dispatched from a telephone number or other source identified or advertised as providing taxicab service;
(vi) Used to provide taxicab service to a customer through street hail or taxi stand; or
(vii) Equipped with a taximeter or other device the Public Service Commission approves for measuring the charges for service.
(12) “Wheelchair accessible vehicle” means a taxicab compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the provisions of 49 CFR Part 38.138.39 and that is designed and intended to be used for the purpose of transporting persons who use wheelchairs or scooters.