A. In this subtitle, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(a) “Agent” means a person who conducts marketing or sales activities, or both, on behalf of a licensed supplier or broker.
(b) “Agent” includes:
(i) An employee;
(ii) A representative;
(iii) An independent contractor;
(iv) A vendor;
(vii) Vendors; and
(viii) Representatives not directly contracted by the supplier who conduct marketing or sales activities on behalf of the supplier.
(2) "Commission" means the Public Service Commission of Maryland.
(3) “Consent” means an agreement with an action communicated by the following:
(a) A written document with customer signature;
(b) An electronic document with electronic signature; or
(c) A voice recording only if the agreement is exempt under the Maryland Telephone Solicitations Act.
(4) “Consumer” or “customer” means the regulated utility retail electric customer account holder.
(5) “Contract Summary” means a summary of the material terms and conditions of a retail energy supply contract, on a form provided by the Commission.
(6) "Customer choice" has the meaning stated in Public Utilities Article, §7-501, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(7) "Drop" means the removal of a customer from a supplier's service.
(8) "Electric company" has the meaning stated in Public Utilities Article, §1-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(9) "Electricity supplier" or "supplier" means a person licensed under COMAR 20.51.
(10) "Electronic transaction" means a standardized data protocol or electronic transmission medium that has been accepted by the Commission for use in Maryland.
(11) "Enrollment" means the addition of a customer to a supplier's service.
(12) "Evergreen contract" means an existing contract that automatically renews without any action by the customer.
(13) "Overcharge" means the difference between the price the customer would have paid the customer's authorized supplier and what the customer paid to the unauthorized supplier.
(14) “Public event” means an event open to the public, which may facilitate retail electricity sales and marketing activities or may result in an electricity customer enrollment transaction.
(15) "Scheduling coordinator" means an entity or entities:
(a) Recognized by the regional transmission organization designated for Maryland by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission;
(b) Qualified to act on behalf of the supplier in taking those actions with the regional transmission organization as are necessary to fulfill the supplier's coordination service obligations as defined in the utility tariff, including the submission of energy schedules to the regional transmission organization; and
(c) That is:
(i) A member of the regional transmission organization; or
(ii) The agent for scheduling purposes of one or more suppliers that are members of the regional transmission organization.
(16) “Third party verification (TPV)” means consent from the customer agreeing to each of the below-listed material contract terms that is recorded by an independent person not party to the agreement or that may be performed by an automated, computerized system. To be valid, the TPV must occur without the presence of the sales agent, and at the outset must describe how the customer can cancel the TPV at any time prior to completion. The consent from the customer must include an acknowledgement:
(a) That he or she is voluntarily choosing to enroll with a supplier;
(b) Of the type of product offered (variable, fixed, a combination of both);
(c) Of the price and duration of the contract;
(d) Of the amount of an early termination fee (if applicable);
(e) That the customer is authorized to make the switch;
(f) Of the contract renewal procedures;
(g) That the customer may access future pricing information; and
(h) That the customer has received the supplier’s customer support contact information.
(17) "Standard offer service (SOS)" has the meaning stated in Public Utility Companies Article, §7-501, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(18) "Utility" means an electric company as defined in Public Utility Companies Article, §1-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(19) "Utility consolidated billing" means a customer bill produced by a utility that contains both supplier and utility charges.