A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Dial around" means a method used by a pay phone user to purposely bypass a pay phone company's local exchange or interexchange telephone company services.
(2) "Effective rate per switched access minute of use" means a rate that results from dividing the total revenue billed over a specific period of time for all rate elements contained in the intrastate switched access tariff of a facilities-based carrier by the total switched access minutes of use recorded by that carrier for the same time period.
(3) "Facilities-based carrier" means a local exchange telephone company owning or leasing facilities that consists of switching and transmission equipment used to carry voice or data traffic within Maryland.
(4) "Intrastate" means services, traffic, or facilities that originate and terminate within Maryland.
(5) Local Exchange Telephone Company.
(a) "Local exchange telephone company" means a public service company that:
(i) Owns telephone lines to receive, transmit, or communicate voice or data traffic within Maryland; or
(ii) Leases, licenses, or sells telephone lines to receive, transmit, or communicate voice or data traffic within Maryland.
(b) "Local exchange telephone company" does not include a public service company that provides service only between telephone exchange areas.
(6) "Interexchange telephone company" means a public service company that receives, transmits, or communicates voice or data traffic between telephone exchange areas within Maryland.
(7) "Switched access service" means the service provided by a local exchange telephone company to an interexchange telephone company to originate and terminate in-State long distance calls.