A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Approved" means Departmental standards for the production of organic animal products have been met.
(2) "Aquafarm" means a facility operated as a business, where aquatic animals and plants are produced under controlled conditions for all or part of their life cycle, by the following of accepted cultural practices such as feeding, breeding, sheltering, containing, planting, or otherwise nurturing or manipulating by a grower, breeder, or owner of the aquatic plant or animal.
(3) "Botanical pesticides" are pesticides derived from plant materials.
(4) "Certified organic feed" means feed produced and processed organically, as provided in COMAR 15.22.02.
(5) "Department" means the Maryland Department of Agriculture or its designee.
(6) "Feed" means all edible materials which are consumed by livestock and poultry, including crops in pasture, for the purpose of supplying protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals for nutritional purposes.
(7) "Feed additives" mean substances used to fulfill a specific nutritional need in a feed ration.
(8) "Feed supplement" means any ingredient added to an animal's diet to supply additional nutrients either not supplied, or not supplied in sufficient quantities, including minerals, amino acids, and vitamins, to optimize an animal's health.
(9) "Material" means any substance or mixture of substances given internally, or applied externally, to an animal in the production of animals or animal products.
(10) "Organic animal producer" or "producer" means any person who manages animal production in accordance with this chapter, who labels and offers for sale animal products using the word "organic" or any derivative of "organic".
(11) "Organic animal product" means any animal product labeled and offered for sale with the word "organic" or any derivative of "organic".
(12) "Organic pasture" means ground covered with vegetation suitable for grazing that has been managed in accordance with COMAR 15.22.02 for organically produced commodities for at least 36 months.
(13) "Prohibited" means any material or practice which is disallowed by this chapter.
(14) "Remedy" means anything that relieves or cures a disease.
(15) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture or a designee.
(16) "Valid veterinarian-client relationship" means a relationship where a veterinarian:
(a) Assumes the responsibility for making medical judgments regarding the health of an animal and the need for medical treatment, and a producer agrees to follow the instructions of the veterinarian;
(b) Has sufficient knowledge of the circumstances to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of an animal, including when the veterinarian has recently seen and is personally acquainted with the care of an animal by examining the animal; and
(c) Is readily available for follow-up in case of adverse reactions or failure of the regimen of therapy.