A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “AAFCO” means the Association of American Feed Control Officials.
(2) “All life stages” means gestation/lactation, growth and adult maintenance life stages.
(3) “Family” means a group of products that are nutritionally adequate for any or all life stages based on nutritional similarity to a lead product, which has been successfully test-fed according to an AAFCO feeding protocol or protocols.
(4) Immediate Container.
(a) “Immediate container” means the unit, can, box, tin, bag, or other receptacle or covering in which a pet food or specialty pet food is displayed for sale to retail purchasers.
(b) “Immediate container” does not include containers used as shipping containers.
(5) “Ingredient statement” means a collective and contiguous listing on the label of the ingredients of which the pet food or specialty pet food is composed.
(6) “Principal display panel” means the part of a label on the pet food or specialty pet food that is most likely to be displayed, presented, shown, or examined under normal and customary conditions of display for retail sale.
(7) “Pet” means dog or cat.
(8) “Pet food” means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by dogs or cats.
(9) “Secretary” means the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Agriculture, or designee.
(10) “Specialty pet” means any domesticated pet normally maintained in a cage or tank, such as, but not limited to, gerbils, hamsters, canaries, psittacine birds, mynahs, finches, tropical fish, goldfish, snakes and turtles.
(11) “Specialty pet food” means any commercial feed prepared and distributed for consumption by specialty pets.
(12) “Raw milk” means any milk or milk product, exclusive of any USDA licensed biologics, from any species other than humans, that has not been pasteurized in accordance with processes recognized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.