A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "AVMA" means the American Veterinary Medical Association.
(2) "Board" means the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
(3) "Responsible direct supervision" means competent, immediate, and active supervision by a veterinary practitioner. The veterinary practitioner shall be:
(a) In the immediate vicinity of where the work is being performed; and
(b) Actively engaged in supervising this work throughout the entire period it is being performed, including:
(i) Providing clear and specific directions on what work is to be done;
(ii) Being cognizant of how the assigned work is being performed; and
(iii) Being immediately available to provide advice when the assigned work is being performed.
(4) "Shelter owner" means a person who rents, leases, or otherwise has control of the premises where the facility is located.
(5) "Veterinary practitioner" means a licensed and registered veterinarian engaged in the practice of veterinary medicine.
(6) "Veterinary preceptee" means a student of veterinary medicine practicing veterinary medicine who has successfully completed 3 years of veterinary education at an institution approved by the Board and who works under the responsible direct supervision of a veterinary practitioner.