A. Eligibility Requirements for Graduates or Candidates for Graduation From Veterinary Technology Programs. To be eligible to take the State Board Examination, an examination applicant shall provide a final transcript from a school showing that the applicant is a graduate or candidate for graduation from a veterinary technology program approved by the AVMA.
B. Eligibility Requirements for Applicants Who do not Meet the Educational Criteria Set Forth in §A of this Regulation. To be eligible to take the State Board Examination, an examination applicant shall provide:
(1) A school-authenticated transcript showing the applicant to be a holder of an associate’s degree or above, which includes a minimum of three credits with a passing grade of C or above in each of the following college level courses:
(a) Biology I;
(b) Biology II;
(e) Anatomy and Physiology I; and
(f) Anatomy and Physiology II.
(2) Proof of completion of 10,000 hours of work experience as a technician, with a signed affidavit from a supervising veterinarian specifying the number of hours worked and the dates worked;
(3) A Maryland Technician Skill Assessment completed by a licensed veterinarian;
(4) Proof of having completed a minimum of 24 hours of veterinary technician continuing education; and
(5) Proof of having completed a minimum of 24 hours of work as a veterinary technician in a veterinary emergency facility.
C. Board Examination. To take the State Board Examination, an applicant shall submit the following to the State Board within 1 year from the date the Board has received the application:
(1) A complete and notarized examination application on a form provided by the Board or an online examination application developed by the Board and submitted online with a signature that may be electronic;
(2) The application fee, as provided in COMAR 15.14.12.02, in the form of a check or money order, payable to the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners or in the form of an online credit card payment or other electronic means deemed practical by the Board and submitted in conjunction with an online application developed by the Board;
(3) A 2-inch by 3-inch headshot photograph of the applicant taken within 6 months of the application date, with the applicant's complete signature on the photograph or an electronic headshot photograph of the applicant taken within 6 months of the application date that is uploaded with an online application developed by the Board and attested to as true and accurate with a signature that may be electronic; and
(4) One of the following documents:
(a) A final transcript from a school, as set forth in §A of this regulation; or
(b) Proof of completion of certain coursework, as set forth in §B of this regulation.
D. Unless timely filed and complete, an examination application shall be denied.
(1) Graduate of an AVMA-Accredited Program.
(a) To sit for a scheduled VTNE, an examination applicant who has graduated from an AVMA-accredited program shall submit to the AAVSB, by a date specified by the AAVSB, the following:
(i) The information specified under §A(1)(a) of this regulation pertaining to the applicant’s schooling, so that the AAVSB may determine whether the applicant is eligible to take this examination;
(ii) A completed AAVSB application to take the VTNE; and
(iii) The requisite fees associated with taking the VTNE.
(b) If the AAVSB determines that the applicant is eligible to take the VTNE, it shall notify the applicant.
(2) Other Type Graduate.
(a) To sit for a scheduled VTNE, an examination applicant who meets the eligibility requirements set forth in §B of this regulation shall have the school from which the applicant graduated submit to the Board a school authenticated copy of the applicant’s final transcript and, if applicable, an English translation, for its review. The applicant shall also provide the following information in writing to the Board:
(i) Name of applicant; and
(ii) Telephone number or email address of applicant.
(b) If the Board determines that the applicant is eligible to take the VTNE, it shall notify the applicant and the AAVSB.
(c) Upon notification of eligibility to take the VTNE, the applicant shall submit the following to the AAVSB:
(i) A completed AAVSB application to take the VTNE; and
(ii) The requisite fees associated with taking the VTNE.