A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Animal control facility" means a humane society or a county or municipal designated animal shelter.
(2) "Authorized employee" means an individual who takes direction from a responsible individual and has obtained Board-approved training in the use and handling of controlled dangerous substances as set forth in this chapter.
(3) "Board" means the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
(4) Controlled Dangerous Substance (CDS).
(a) "Controlled dangerous substance (CDS)" means a substance listed in schedules IIV, as defined in Criminal Law Article, §5-101(f), Annotated Code of Maryland.
(b) "Controlled dangerous substance (CDS)" includes substances used by an animal control facility for sedation, euthanasia, or both.
(5) "DEA" means the United States Drug Enforcement Administration.
(6) "Drug" means a controlled dangerous substance (CDS).
(7) "Humane society" means a society or association incorporated in Maryland for the prevention of cruelty to animals, as defined in Criminal Law Article, §10-601, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(8) "Licensing year" means the annual period running from July 1 until June 30.
(9) "MDH" means the Maryland Department of Health.
(10) "Owner" means a person who rents, leases, or otherwise has control of the premises where the animal control facility is located.
(11) "PAWS" means the Professional Animal Workers of Maryland, which is the State association of animal control agencies and humane organizations.
(12) "Responsible individual" means the individual who:
(a) Meets the requirements of Regulation .06 of this chapter; and
(b) Is responsible for obtaining and maintaining the drugs that an animal control facility uses for sedating, euthanizing, or sedating and euthanizing injured, sick, homeless, or unwanted domestic pets, and other animals.
(13) "Valid animal control facility license" means a license to operate an animal control facility issued for the current licensing year which has neither been revoked nor, unless stayed, is under suspension.