A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Board" means the State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners.
(2) "Controlled dangerous substance" means any drug, substance, or immediate precursor as listed in Criminal Law Article, §5-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Agriculture of Maryland.
(4) "Dispensing" means direct distribution of products by veterinarians to their clients for use in or on their animals.
(5) "Federal legend drug" or "veterinary prescription drug" means a drug labeled with the statement "Caution: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian".
(6) “High-volume, low-cost spay/neuter facility” means a licensed facility:
(a) Which is regularly used for the treatment of animals by a veterinary practitioner;
(b) Where the sterilization of dogs and cats is the primary function performed by a veterinarian licensed and registered by the Board; and
(c) Where the owner complies with the licensing and sanitation standards in COMAR 15.14.03 and 15.14.07.
(7) “Hospitalization” means the confinement of a patient in a veterinary hospital or mobile veterinary clinic for purposes of performing:
(c) Monitoring; or
(d) Nursing care.
(8) "Prescribing" means transmitting an order that authorizes a licensed pharmacist or the equivalent to prepare and dispense specified pharmaceuticals to be used in or on animals in the manner directed by a veterinarian.
(9) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture.
(10) “Specialist” means an individual who has obtained certification from a specialty organization recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
(11) “Surgery” means that both of the following exist:
(a) A veterinarian treats a disease, injury, or deformity by manual or operative methods; and
(b) A veterinarian or registered veterinary technician administers an anesthetic, injectable sedative, or injectable tranquilizing agent to an animal.
(12) "Veterinarian" means an individual who is licensed and registered as a veterinarian to practice in the State.
(13) "Veterinary hospital" means a building or portion of a building which is regularly used for the treatment of animals by a veterinary practitioner.
(14) "Veterinarian-client-patient relationship" means that all of the following conditions exist:
(a) The veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making clinical judgments regarding the health of the animal and the need for medical treatment, and the client has agreed to follow the veterinarian's instructions;
(b) The veterinarian has sufficient knowledge of the animal to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal because the veterinarian has recently seen and is personally acquainted with the keeping and care of the animal through either:
(i) A physical examination; or
(ii) Medically appropriate and timely visits to the location where the animal is kept; and
(c) The veterinarian is readily available or has arranged for emergency coverage or follow-up evaluation in the event of adverse reactions or the failure of the treatment regimen.