A. An operator of a livestock market:
(1) Shall provide humane treatment of livestock in its custody;
(2) May not accept downers for sale at its market;
(3) In the case of livestock that become downers after acceptance for sale at the market, shall:
(a) Provide the needed equipment for handling, moving, and, if necessary, euthanizing these animals,
(b) Identify and mark the livestock in a distinctive manner,
(c) Separate and separately pen the livestock from healthy animals, and
(d) Notify the Department that an animal has become a downer; and
(4) Shall properly dispose of all animals that die or are euthanized after acceptance into the market.
B. The operator of a livestock market is permitted to offer or sell 3-D livestock only to a slaughtering establishment for immediate slaughter.
C. At the close of a livestock sale, if any downers remain unsold, the market operator immediately shall:
(1) Euthanize the livestock as provided under 9 CFR 313; or
(2) Place them in the care of a licensed veterinarian.