A. In these regulations, the following terms have the meaning indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Applicant" means a person who has requested the Department to collect samples, conduct tests, and supervise the mixing of different kinds of seed in order to have the seed mixture either certified as a "Maryland Interagency Certified Seed Mixture" or labeled as a "Supervised Mixture".
(2) "Batch sheet" means a form used by the Department to collect data verifying the eligibility of each component to be used in a specific mixture.
(3) "Certified seed" means a class of seed that is the progeny of breeder, foundation, or registered seed handled to maintain the standards of that class.
(4) "Certified Seed Mixture" means different kinds or varieties of seed produced and labeled in accordance with the procedures of and in compliance with the regulations of an officially recognized seed certification agency.
(5) "Component" means a specific lot of a single variety that is to be used in the mixture.
(6) "Kind" means one or more related species or subspecies which singularly or collectively is known by one common name.
(7) "Lot" means a definite quantity of seed identified by a lot number or other mark, each portion or bag of which is uniform within recognized tolerance for the factor appearing in the labeling.
(8) "Maryland Interagency Certified Mixture" means different kinds or varieties of seed certified by the state of origin that have been:
(a) Mixed under the Department's supervision; and
(b) Found by the Department to have met the specific minimum seed standards set forth in this chapter.
(9) "Officially recognized" means recognized and designated by the laws or regulations of any state, the United States, any province of Canada, or the government of any foreign country whose certification standards are recognized by the Secretary.
(10) "Official sample" means a sample taken by a representative of the Department.
(11) "Supervised Mixture" means a seed mixture handled under the same procedures as a Maryland Interagency Certified Mixture except that one or more components is not Certified Seed.
(12) "Variety" means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, plant, fruit, seed, or any other character by which it can be differentiated from any other plant of the same kind.