A. The following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Certified seed” means seed that is progeny of Breeder, Foundation, or Registered seed handled to maintain the standards of that class.
(2) “Certified turf grass” means a class of turf grass produced and handled in such a manner as to meet the standards of that class.
(3) “Cultivated turf grass” means turf grass which is reestablished from seed after each harvest.
(4) “Department” means the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
(5) “Field” means the entire area within a natural or man-made border, such as a road, fence, waterway, hedgerow, etc., that clearly defines the boundary.
(6) "Foundation stock" means vegetative stock that is the progeny of Breeder stock or Foundation stock and handled to maintain the standards of that class.
(7) "Interagency certified seed mixture" means a mixture of kinds and varieties that have been mixed according to the regulations of the Maryland Department of Agriculture. Each mixture component shall be certified initially in its state of origin.
(8) "Kind" means one or more related species or subspecies which singly or collectively is known by one common name.
(9) "Official sample" means a sample taken by a representative of the Department.
(10) “Participant” means the person applying to grow Maryland certified turf grass.
(11) “Turf grass” means grass sold as vegetative sod, plugs, or sprigs.
(12) "Variety" means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, color, pest resistance, or any other character by which it can be differentiated from any other plant of the same kind.
(13) "Vegetatively propagated turf grass" means turf grass which normally is propagated from vegetative material and either does not produce seed or produces seed that is not viable.