A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Carton" means a container holding up to 36 eggs, including overwrapped cartons and sleeves, that is used to pack eggs for distribution or sale to a consumer.
(2) "Case" means a container that is not a carton and that is used to pack eggs for distribution or sale to a consumer. A case may contain either loose eggs or cartons of eggs.
(3) "Consumer" means a person who purchases or otherwise acquires shell eggs for household consumption.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Agriculture of Maryland or its designee.
(5) "Distributor" means a person who:
(a) Sells, offers, or exposes for sale shell eggs to a wholesaler, retailer, or food service facility; or
(b) Distributes eggs to a retailer or food service facility owned by that person.
(6) "Food service facility" means a person who operates a facility where eggs are used in the preparation of food, and who does not distribute eggs to a food service facility owned by that person.
(7) "Loose eggs" means eggs not contained in a carton.
(8) "Lot designation" means a method of specifying the conditions under which eggs are packed or packaged which enables the packer and the Secretary to trace the eggs to the flock that produced the eggs.
(9) "Packer" means a person, including a repacker, who places shell eggs in the original case, carton, or container that is used to hold eggs for distribution or sale to consumers and other persons in the distribution chain, such as retailers and food service facilities.
(10) "Registration number" means the number that the Department assigns a packer or distributor.
(11) "Repacker" means a packer who repacks previously graded shell eggs.
(12) "Retailer" means a person who sells shell eggs to a consumer and who does not distribute eggs to a retail outlet owned by that person.
(13) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Agriculture or the Secretary's designee.
(14) "Shell eggs" means raw eggs produced by chickens for human consumption.