A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated:
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Authorized holder” or “holder” means an institution of higher education or a person who has contracted with an institution or the Department to grow or cultivate industrial hemp for agricultural research or academic research purposes as authorized by this chapter.
(2) “Certified site” means any property site certified by and registered with the Department as a site where industrial hemp may be grown or cultivated for agricultural or academic research purposes.
(3) “Department” means the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
(4) “Independent testing laboratory” has the meaning stated in Health-General Article, §13-3301, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(5) Industrial Hemp.
(a) “Industrial hemp” means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.
(b) “Industrial hemp” does not include any plant or part of a plant intended for a use that is regulated under Health-General Article, Title 13, Subtitle 33, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(6) “Institution of higher education” or “institution” has the meaning stated in the federal Higher Education Act of 1965.
(7) “Person” means an individual, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, association, or any business entity, by whatever name designated and whether or not incorporated, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.