A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Act" means the Jane E. Lawton Conservation Loan Program set forth in State Government Article, Title 9, Subtitle 20A, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(2) "Administration" means the Maryland Energy Administration.
(3) “Borrower” means a local jurisdiction, nonprofit organization, or eligible business that applies and qualifies for a loan under the Program.
(4) "County" means any of the 23 counties of the State, and the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore, and any authorized agency or instrumentality of a county or counties.
(5) “Credit enhancement” means a financial arrangement designed to improve the accessibility or affordability of a financing.
(6) "Director" means the Director of the Administration or the Director's designated representative.
(7) Eligible Business.
(a) “Eligible business” means a commercial enterprise or business that is in good standing with the State Department of Assessments and Taxation and is:
(i) Incorporated in the State; or
(ii) Registered to do business in the State.
(b) "Eligible business" includes a corporation, association, general partnership, limited partnership, joint general partnership, joint venture, or other form of legal organization.
(8) “Energy cost savings” means the actual reduction in operating expenses resulting from the installation, operation, and maintenance of a project financed under the Program.
(9) "Fund" means the Jane E. Lawton Conservation Loan Program Fund.
(10) “Loan” means an issuance of debt by the Administration to a qualified borrower under the Program.
(11) "Local jurisdiction" means any county or municipality of the State and includes the board of education or community college of a county.
(12) "Municipality" means any municipal corporation or State-created special taxing district in Maryland subject to the provisions of Article XI-E of the Maryland Constitution, or any authorized agency or instrumentality of the municipality.
(13) “Nonprofit organization” means a corporation, foundation, school, hospital, or other legal entity, no part of the net earnings or assets of which inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual holding an interest in the entity.
(14) "Program" means the Jane E. Lawton Conservation Loan Program.
(a) “Project” means one or more improvements or modifications that enhance the energy efficiency and reduce the operating expenses of a structure located in Maryland.
(b) "Project" does not include improvements or modifications for energy conservation in structures used primarily for religious or fraternal activities.