A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Associated costs of attendance” means costs incurred by a student to purchase books or equipment that are necessary for the completion of the workforce development sequence for which the student is receiving a Workforce Development Sequence Scholarship, and any related testing fees for licensure or certification.
(2) “Commission” means the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(3) Eligible Student.
(a) “Eligible student” means a student who:
(i) Is a Maryland resident or has graduated from a Maryland high school; and
(ii) Is enrolled in a Workforce Development Sequence at a community college in the State.
(b) “Eligible student” may include an active duty member of the U.S. Military who:
(i) Is stationed in the State;
(ii) Resides in the State; or
(iii) Is domiciled in the State.
(4) “Noncredit certificate” means a document issued by a community college to a student certifying that the student has completed a noncredit sequence of courses.
(5) “Office” means the Office of Student Financial Assistance within the Commission.
(6) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Higher Education.
(7) Workforce Development Sequence.
(a) “Workforce development sequence” means a group of noncredit courses, approved by the Commission, that is offered by a community college and composed of courses related to:
(i) Job preparation or a registered apprenticeship;
(ii) Licensure or certification; or
(iii) Job skill enhancement.
(b) “Workforce development sequence” does not include a sequence of courses leading to an associate or bachelor’s degree.
(8) “Workforce Development Sequence Scholarship” or “Scholarship” means an award made to an eligible student under this chapter.