A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Annual adjusted gross income” means the total of the combined adjusted gross income, as reported on the federal or State income tax return for the most recent tax year, of:
(a) The applicant, if the applicant is independent;
(b) The applicant and the applicant’s parents, if the applicant is a dependent; or
(c) The applicant and the applicant’s spouse, if the applicant is married.
(2) “Certificate” means a credit-bearing certificate program approved by the Commission under Education Article, §11-206, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(3) “Commission” means the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(4) “Community college” means a community college of the State and includes Baltimore City Community College.
(5) “Director” means the Executive Director of the Office.
(6) Extenuating Circumstances.
(a) “Extenuating circumstances” mean a documented, extraordinary event or condition that prevents a recipient from fulfilling a scholarship requirement.
(b) “Extenuating circumstances” includes, but is not limited to, the following events or conditions, to the extent that the event or condition prevents the recipient from fulfilling a scholarship requirement:
(ii) Serious illness of the student;
(iii) Pregnancy or adoption;
(iv) Extreme financial hardship of the students or student’s immediate family;
(v) Fulfillment of military service; or
(vi) Serious illness or death of an immediate family member.
(7) “FAFSA” means the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
(8) “Federal verification” means the process prescribed by the U.S. Department of Education to verify that information provided on the FAFSA is accurate.
(9) “Full-time enrollment” means enrollment in at least 12 credits per semester at a community college.
(10) “Institutional Student Information Report” or “ISIR” means an electronic record produced by the Central Processing System of the U.S. Department of Education that provides institutions with processed application and correction information.
(11) “MDCAPS” means the Maryland College Aid Processing System maintained by the Office.
(12) “Most recent tax year” means the prior-prior federal or State tax year; for example, the “most recent tax year” for the 20192020 academic year would be 2017.
(13) “Non-loan aid” means any student financial aid scholarship or grant applied to the student’s tuition and fee charges, excluding Title IV federal work-study.
(14) “Office” means the Office of Student Financial Assistance within the Commission.
(15) “Satisfactory academic progress” means the academic standards established by the community college to determine whether a student may continue to receive student financial aid.
(16) “Scholarship” means a Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship.
(17) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Higher Education.
(18) “Semester” means the fall or spring semester of a community college.
(19) “Tuition” means the basic instructional charge for courses offered at a community college, including any fees for registration, application, administration, laboratory work, and other mandatory fees.
(20) “V1” means a group of students identified as verification group 1 or VI by the U.S. Department of Education for purposes of financial aid eligibility verification.
(21) “V5” means a group of students identified as verification group 5 or V5 by the U.S. Department of Education for purposes of financial aid eligibility verification.
(22) “Vocational certificate” means a credit-bearing certificate or credit-bearing license program that prepares an individual to work in a career field.