A. In this subtitle, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Board of trustees of a college" means the governing board of a college or system.
(a) "College" means a public community college or regional community college authorized to operate in Maryland.
(b) "College" includes Baltimore City Community College, except as provided in Regulation .01B of this chapter.
(3) "Commission" means the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(4) "Continuing education course" means a course for which academic credit is not awarded.
(5) "Contract amount" means the total amount received by a college from a local, State, or federal contract, plus any other federal or State revenue related to the contract, excluding full-time equivalent student (FTE) State support.
(6) "County" means:
(a) A political subdivision of the State that supports a community college under Education Article, §16-201, Annotated Code of Maryland; and
(b) The total of all counties that support a regional community college under Education Article, §16-302, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(7) "County resident" means a student who has maintained a domicile in the county or region served by the college for at least 3 months before the date of enrollment at a college.
(8) Direct Costs.
(a) "Direct costs" means expenditures that are clearly incurred by the college in the fulfillment of a federal, State, or local contract or grant, and are explicitly related to the performance or fulfillment of the contract or grant.
(b) "Direct costs" includes salaries, wages, benefits, services, materials, and equipment.
(9) "Domicile" means:
(a) A student's permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possessions are maintained with the intention of remaining indefinitely; or
(b) The permanent place of abode of any person or persons contributing more than 1/2 of the student's financial support during the most recently completed year.
(10) "Dual enrollment student" means a secondary student who is enrolled in college courses and receives both high school and college credit for the courses completed.
(11) "Electronic" means relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic, or similar capabilities.
(12) "Electronic signature" means an electronic sound, symbol, or process that is a protected entity, attached to or logically associated with a record, and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.
(13) "Eligible employee" means a full-time, nontemporary employee of the college who is entitled to receive full employment benefits at the college.
(14) "Equated credit" means contact hours divided by 15.
(15) "Full-time day equivalent (FTDE)" means the total number of credit hours taught on campus between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., divided by 15 credit hours.
(16) "Full-time equivalent faculty (FTEF)" means the number of full-time faculty plus the number of course credit hours eligible for State aid and taught by part-time faculty during a given fiscal year, divided by 30.
(17) "Full-time equivalent student" means the quotient of the number of student credit hours produced in the fiscal year which is 2 years before the fiscal year for which the State share is calculated, divided by 30.
(18) "Gifted and talented" means an elementary or secondary school student who is identified by professionally qualified individuals as having outstanding abilities in one or more of the following areas:
(a) General intellectual capabilities;
(b) Specific academic aptitudes; or
(c) Creative, visual, or performing arts.
(19) "Indirect costs" means the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) students taught under a training contract multiplied by the budgeted current year net cost per FTE for that college per the Annual Budget Report (form MHEC-CC-5), multiplied by the percentage of the adjusted current unrestricted expenditures in all functions other than instruction as reported in the current Annual Budget Report (form MHEC-CC-5) for that college.
(20) "Maryland resident" means a student who has maintained a domicile in Maryland for at least 3 months before the date of enrollment at a college.
(21) "PlanMaryland” means the State Development Plan prepared by the Maryland Department of Planning and filed with the Secretary of State on December 16, 2011.
(22) "Protected entity" means a process for verifying that an electronic signature is that of a specific person to whom the electronic signature is being attributed.
(23) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium retrievable in a perceivable form.
(24) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Higher Education.
(25) Standardized Test.
(a) "Standardized test" means a test distributed by external agencies for determining academic equivalence of knowledge or skills, or both.
(b) "Standardized test" does not include departmental or other examinations developed and administered by the college.