A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Accredited” means holding institutional accreditation by name as a U.S.-based institution from an accreditor recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
(2) “Commission” means the Maryland Higher Education Commission.
(3) “Council” means the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.
(4) “C-RAC guidelines” mean the Interregional Guidelines for the Evaluation of Distance Education adopted by the Council of Regional Accrediting Commissions.
(5) “In-State institution” means an institution of higher education that holds its legal domicile in the State.
(6) “In-State SARA institution” means an in-State institution approved by the Commission to participate in SARA.
(7) “SARA” means a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement overseen by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and administered by the Southern Regional Education Board, the New England Board of Higher Education, the Midwestern Higher Education Compact, or the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education.
(8) “SARA distance education” means interstate instruction, originating in the U.S. or a U.S. territory, offered by any means where the student and faculty member are in separate physical locations, including, but not limited to, online, interactive video, or correspondence courses or programs.
(9) “Secretary” means the Secretary of Higher Education or the Secretary’s designee.