A. At all times while in care, each child shall be assigned to a group of children that is supervised by an individual who:
(1) Meets the requirements of COMAR 13A.16.06.09 or .10, depending on the age composition of the group; or
(2) Has received a variance, issued by the Office, from the requirements of COMAR 13A.16.06.09 or .10 in order to serve as a teacher for the purpose of providing instruction to the group in a specific discipline such as, but not limited to, karate, dance, or music.
B. The operator shall assign qualified child care teachers to each group of children as needed to meet the requirements for group size and staffing set forth at Regulation .03 of this chapter.
C. An infant or toddler may be handled or fed only by an individual designated to do so by the center operator.
D. Staff Availability.
(1) An operator shall designate a child care teacher to be present and in charge of the center in case of the director's temporary absence from the center.
(2) If a preschool child care teacher or a school age child care teacher, as applicable, is not available for assignment to a group of children, the center director may supervise the group until a child care teacher becomes available for assignment.
(3) If the only children in attendance at the center are:
(a) Younger than 2 years old and only one staff member is needed to meet staff/child ratio requirements, the operator shall ensure that an additional staff member or another adult, who has successfully passed a federal and State criminal background check and a review of child and adult abuse and neglect records, is available in the center; or
(b) 2 years old or older and only one staff member is needed to meet staff/child ratio requirements, the operator shall have a written, signed, and dated agreement from an adult who has successfully passed a federal and State criminal background check and a review of child and adult abuse and neglect records and is willing and able to be at the center within 15 minutes of notification.