A. Except when engaged in occasional center-related activities or away on leave, a director shall be present in a center during at least 1/2 of the operating hours of the center each week to:
(1) Plan and supervise all aspects of the program for children;
(2) Supervise the staff; and
(3) Be available to staff, parents, and children.
B. To qualify as a director of a center, an individual shall:
(1) Be at least 21 years old;
(2) Hold a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalence, or have successfully completed at least two courses for credit from an accredited college or university;
(3) Have successfully completed:
(a) 9 clock hours of approved preservice training in communicating with staff, parents, and the public, or at least one academic college course for credit;
(b) 3 semester hours or their equivalent of approved administrative training, unless approved as a school-age center director in a center authorized to serve only school-age children; and
(c) 3 clock hours of approved training in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act;
(4) Have successfully completed 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours, or their equivalent, of approved preservice training, or hold the Child Development Associate National Credential that is issued by the Council for Professional Recognition;
(5) Effective January 1, 2020, have completed approved basic health and safety training within 90 days of employment; and
(6) Within 6 months after date of hire, complete a regulation training to the requirements of this subtitle that is conducted by the office, if hired on or after January 1, 2009.
C. A director shall:
(1) According to the individual's professional development plan, complete approved continued training, at the rate of at least 12 clock hours per full year of employment as a director, that consists of a:
(a) Minimum of 6 clock hours of core of knowledge training; and
(b) Maximum of 6 clock hours of elective training;
(2) Document completion of the continued training on the professional development plan; and
(3) Document that the health and safety training, as required by the office, is completed by each staff member by the end of each 12-month period, measured each calendar year.