A. In this subtitle, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Acceptable credit" means content or professional education course work earned or taught after the conferral of the bachelor's or higher degree as provided in Regulation .05C of this chapter.
(2) "Accredited" has the meaning stated in §B(17) of this regulation.
(3) "Accredited nonpublic school" means a nonpublic school accredited by a national organization, regional organization, or State Board of Education.
(4) "Applicant" means an individual who has initiated a written request for certification and has completed all application requirements under Regulation .10 of this chapter.
(5) "Appropriate certificate" for:
(a) A teacher means a professional certificate, a resident teacher certificate, or a conditional certificate;
(b) A specialist means a professional certificate or a conditional certificate if the applicant is within 6 semester hours of the professional certificate; and
(c) An administrator or supervisor means a professional certificate, a resident principal certificate, a resident assistant principal certificate, or a conditional certificate if the applicant is within 6 semester hours of the professional certificate.
(6) "Conditional certificate" means a degree or nondegree certificate issued for 2 years while the applicant successfully pursues an acceptable plan developed by the applicant and the local school system officials to meet the professional certificate standards under Regulation .05 of this chapter. For specific requirements, see Regulation .08 of this chapter.
(7) "Conditional contract" means a contract signed by a teacher under COMAR 13A.07.02.01C.
(8) "Content course work" means course work completed in academic disciplines as differentiated from professional education course work.
(9) "Continuing professional development credits (CPDs)" means credits earned through continuing professional development experiences approved by the Department, issued by a state department of education or an institution of higher education (IHE); or credits used to renew licenses issued by other licensing boards and approved by the Department.
(10) "Crime against children" means any crime defined in Criminal Law Article, §3-601, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(11) "Crime of violence" means any crime as defined in Criminal Law Article, §14-101, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(12) "Department" means the Maryland State Department of Education.
(13) "Essential dimensions of teaching" means outcomes consistent with national standards and identified by the State Board of Education for approval of Maryland teacher education programs under Regulation .04B of this chapter.
(14) "Full-time teaching experience" means a period of not less than 9 consecutive months as the responsible teacher in a classroom pursuant to an appointment requiring service for 50 percent or more of the school week or the equivalent.
(15) "Higher degree" means a degree earned that is higher than a bachelor's degree such as a Ph.D., Ed.D., Ed.S., Master's degree, J.D., M.D., D.D.M., D.D.S. or L.L.M.
(16) "Historic Maryland Certificate" means a previously issued certificate for which a certification area no longer exists.
(17) "Institution of higher education (IHE)" means an accredited college or university that meets one of the following standards:
(a) It is accredited by an accrediting commission in one of the regional associations of colleges and schools;
(b) It participates in the ICC or the NCATE programs; or
(c) Its course work is accepted by the state in which the institution is located for teacher certification purposes.
(18) "Interstate Certification Compact (ICC)" means a legal agreement with other states to facilitate the certification of out-of-State teachers and other professional educational personnel as authorized by Education Article, Title 6, Subtitle 6, Annotated Code of Maryland, or as otherwise provided by law.
(19) "Local school system" means a Maryland public school system, a State-operated school, or an accredited nonpublic school.
(20) "Long-term substitute experience" means full-time, continuous substitute teaching service rendered in the same classroom for not less than 3 months.
(21) "Mentor" means an individual who possesses the attributes set forth in COMAR 13A.07.01.03.
(22) "National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)" means a council providing accreditation of professional education units in United States colleges that prepare professional educators to staff PreK12 schools for children.
(23) "Occupational experience" means experience gained while employed performing the trade to be taught.
(24) "Out-of-area assignment" means assignment of a certificated teacher to teach in a subject area other than in the area in which certificated.
(25) "Professional certificate" means a Standard Professional Certificate or an Advanced Professional Certificate.
(26) "Professional development plan" means a plan to describe the employee's continued professional growth.
(27) "Professional education course work" means course work dealing with the knowledge and process of teaching to prepare to become a teacher, as differentiated from content course work.
(28) "Regular contract" means a contract signed by a teacher under COMAR 13A.07.02.01B.
(29) Required Grade.
(a) "Required grade" means a grade of C or better.
(b) For a teaching internship, "required grade" means a grade of C or better, pass, or satisfactory.
(30) "Resident Teacher Certificate" means a certificate issued to an applicant holding a bachelor's or higher degree from an IHE but not meeting professional requirements for the Standard Professional Certificate. For specific requirements, see Regulation .07 of this chapter.
(31) "Satisfactory school-related experience" means professional, full-time experience as a teacher, specialist, administrator, or supervisor in a public school or accredited nonpublic school for which the annual overall evaluation rating is satisfactory or better.
(32) "School" means a public school or an accredited nonpublic school.
(33) "Semester hours" means credit hours earned at an IHE within a semester system of scheduling, and are required unless a regulation in this subtitle states that CPDs may be used.
(34) "Specific certification area" means a:
(a) Content area or subject area such as English, music, or physical education;
(b) Grade level such as early childhood, elementary, middle, secondary, or PreK12; or
(c) Job specific designation under COMAR 13A.12.02, 13A.12.03, and 13A.12.04.
(35) "Supervised experience" means an internship, practicum, or student teaching provided by an IHE.
(36) "Teacher certification tests" means the tests offered nationally in basic skills, required content or subject matter, and pedagogy that have been validated according to generally accepted professional standards and approved by the State Board of Education, a list of which is maintained in the Division of Certification of the Department.
(37) "Teaching experience" means one of the following experiences in the certification area in a school at the appropriate age or grade level for which the applicant is seeking certification:
(a) A satisfactory supervised experience;
(b) 1 year of satisfactory full-time teaching experience; or
(c) Accumulation of 1 school year of satisfactory long-term substitute experience.
(38) "Transcript analysis" means a review used to determine the appropriateness of course work or other experiences in the certification area sought by the applicant.