A. In these regulations, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Admission" means the date a person is formally admitted to the Center.
(2) "Admission committee" means the management team delegated final responsibility to review and approve or deny applications for admission to the Center.
(3) "Admission criteria" means the standards applied by the Center to determine its capacity and capability to provide the services requested by an applicant and the applicant's capability to benefit from services.
(4) "Appeal hearing" has the same meaning as defined in COMAR 13A.11.07.02.
(5) "Assistive technology" means the application of technological methods and principles and the provision of devices and aids to meet the needs of and address the barriers confronted by individuals with disabilities.
(6) "Career assessment" means a systematic, organized study of a consumer that is made to identify vocational options, assets, limitations, and behaviors, considering the interests, capabilities, and priorities of the individual, in the context of work environments in which the individual might function.
(7) "Case manager" means the staff person assigned primary responsibility for planning, initiating, coordinating, and monitoring a program of services in conjunction with the individual client.
(8) "Center" means the Workforce and Technology Center, a facility operated by the Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Rehabilitation Services, for the purpose of providing vocational rehabilitation and independent living services to individuals with disabilities.
(9) "Client" means an individual who is accepted for services and admitted to the Center.
(10) "Client Assistance Program" has the same meaning as defined in COMAR 13A.11.01.03.
(11) "Client's representative" has the same meaning as "individual's representative" as defined in COMAR 13A.11.01.03.
(12) "Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)" means the private, nonprofit organization formed in 1966 which has established standards of quality for rehabilitation services and which accredits those who provide these services.
(13) "Department" means the Maryland State Department of Education.
(14) "Director" means the chief administrator who is responsible for the operation of the Center.
(15) "Discharge" means termination of a program of services being provided for a client of the Center.
(16) "Division" has the same meaning as defined in COMAR 13A.11.01.03.
(17) "Employer advisory board" means a group of citizens who voluntarily provide advice, consultation, and recommendations associated with vocational courses offered at the Center.
(18) "Employment skills training" means a program offered by the Center designed to provide a client with these skills necessary to achieve employment in a specific occupation.
(19) "Functional limitations" means conditions resulting from a disability which prevent or impair an individual's ability to perform independent living or vocationally related activities.
(20) "Medical director" means the licensed physician who directs, manages, and coordinates medical services provided at the Center.
(21) "Medical functional evaluation" means a systematic study of a person to assess and identify the need for physical restoration services, functional assets and limitations, and readiness for vocational rehabilitation or independent living services.
(22) "Medical rehabilitation services" means the provision of one or more of the following services to clients:
(a) Physical therapy;
(b) Occupational therapy;
(d) Speech-language therapy;
(e) Rehabilitation nursing;
(f) Medical management;
(g) Psychiatric or psychological evaluation, or both, and psychiatric or psychological treatment, or both;
(h) Therapeutic recreation; and
(i) Related services.
(23) "Medical staff" means those persons appointed to professional positions within the medical department of the Center in accordance with the credentialing process required by COMAR 10.07.01.24.
(24) "Physiatrist" means an individual licensed to practice medicine in Maryland who, by virtue of training and experience, specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
(25) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine in Maryland who has been appointed to the medical staff of the Center.
(26) "Program" means a structured set of activities designed to achieve specific objectives established for the client.
(27) "Record" means the official repository of electronic and hard copy documentation concerning an individual served by the Center.
(28) “Residential services” means the provision of room, board, recreation, and other support services in the dormitory of the Center or the supported residence dormitory.
(29) "Restriction" means a procedure designed to reduce or eliminate maladaptive or inappropriate behavior as part of a progressive disciplinary action program.
(30) "Risk management" means a program developed to identify, evaluate, and reduce the risks to clients in the provision of services at the Center.
(31) "Vocational rehabilitation services" has the same meaning as defined in COMAR 13A.11.01.08.