A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Annual report" means the report a legal authority of a school is required to file each year with the Department by which the chief officer of the legal authority certifies the status of the compliance of the school with the requirements of this chapter.
(2) "Certificate of Approval" means the document issued by the State Board to the legal authority responsible for governing and operating a school if a school has met the requirements of this chapter.
(3) "Child care center" means a facility that holds a current child care center license issued by the Department.
(4) "Class" means a group of students scheduled to report regularly to a teacher at a particular time and place for the implementation of an educational program.
(5) "Department" means the Maryland State Department of Education.
(6) "Educational program" means an organized program of instruction in English, language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, and, as applicable, courses for which secondary school credit is granted, and Montessori areas of instruction, provided by teachers to students enrolled in any consecutive sequence of kindergarten, or grades 112, or all of these.
(7) "Elementary school" means an educational program for students in any grade or consecutive sequence of grades 18.
(8) "Institution of higher education (IHE)" means a college or university that is accredited by an accrediting commission of one of the regional associations of colleges and schools.
(9) "Kindergarten" means an educational program for students who meet the age of eligibility date for enrollment in kindergarten in compliance with Regulation .10C(3) of this chapter.
(10) "Legal authority" means the nonpublic entity registered as active with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation that is responsible for governing and operating a school.
(11) "Montessori" means an educational program based on the educational philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori that is validated by a Department-recognized Montessori validating organization that considers, at a minimum, the elements of teacher qualifications, written curriculum, instructional methods, and materials.
(12) "School" means an educational program that is provided for an organized group of students, at least two of whom do not have the same parents or legal guardians and at least two of whom are not being instructed on a regular daily basis by the students' parents or legal guardians, that is governed and operated by a legal authority, excluding the federal government or any State, county, or municipal agency or division of these.
(13) "School day" means the period of time when a school is regularly scheduled to be open for students who are required to be in attendance for an educational program.
(14) "Secondary school" means an educational program for students in grade 9, 10, or 11, or in any consecutive sequence of grades 912.
(15) "State Board" means the Maryland State Board of Education.
(16) "Student" means an individual to whom a teacher provides instruction.
(17) "Teacher" means an individual who provides instruction to students in a class in an educational program as defined in §B(6) of this regulation and who meets the requirements of Regulation .06B of this chapter.