A. Each public agency and nonpublic school shall develop policies and procedures to address:
(1) A continuum of positive behavioral interventions, strategies, and supports for use by school personnel before exclusion, restraint, or seclusion;
(2) The prevention of self-injurious behaviors;
(3) Methods for identifying and defusing potentially dangerous behavior;
(4) The use and documentation of exclusion consistent with Regulation .04 of this chapter;
(5) The use of restraint consistent with Regulation .05A of this chapter; and
(6) The use of seclusion consistent with Regulation .05B of this chapter.
B. Each public agency and nonpublic school shall annually review policies and procedures and provide them to school personnel and parents as described in COMAR 13A.08.01.
C. Professional Development.
(1) Each public agency and nonpublic school shall provide professional development to designated school personnel on this chapter and the appropriate implementation of policies and procedures developed in accordance with §A of this regulation.
(2) At the beginning of each school year, each public agency and nonpublic school shall identify school personnel authorized to serve as a school-wide resource to assist in ensuring proper administration of exclusion, restraint, and seclusion.
(3) The school personnel described in §C(2) of this regulation shall receive training in current professionally accepted practices and standards regarding:
(a) Positive behavior interventions strategies and supports, including methods for identifying and defusing potentially dangerous behavior;
(b) Functional behavior assessment and behavior intervention planning;
(d) Restraint and alternatives to restraint;
(e) Seclusion; and
(f) Symptoms of physical distress and positional asphyxia.
(4) The professional development described in §C(3) of this regulation shall include a written examination and physical demonstration of proficiency in the described skills and competencies.
D. Monitoring and Compliance.
(1) Each public agency and nonpublic school shall develop policies and procedures on:
(a) Monitoring the use of exclusion, restraint, and seclusion; and
(b) Receiving and investigating complaints regarding exclusion, restraint, and seclusion practices.
(2) The Department may monitor and request any information regarding any matter related to exclusion, restraint, or seclusion implemented by a public agency or nonpublic school. The Department shall provide written notice of the requested information and specify the time and the manner in which the public agency or nonpublic school shall respond to the request.