A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Behavior intervention plan" means a proactive plan designed to address problem behaviors exhibited by a student in the educational setting through the use of positive behavioral interventions, strategies, and supports.
(2) "Business day" has the meaning stated in COMAR 13A.08.03.
(a) "Communicate" means to convey information verbally or nonverbally.
(b) "Communicate" includes, but is not limited to:
(iii) Symbols; and
(iv) American Sign Language.
(3) "Department" means the Maryland State Department of Education.
(4) "Exclusion" means the removal of a student to a supervised area for a limited period of time during which the student has an opportunity to regain self-control and is not receiving instruction including special education, related services, or support.
(5) Functional Behavior Assessment.
(a) "Functional behavior assessment" means the systematic process of gathering information to guide the development of an effective and efficient behavior intervention plan for the problem behavior.
(b) "Functional behavior assessment" includes the:
(i) Identification of the functions of the problem behavior for the student;
(ii) Description of the problem behavior exhibited in the educational setting; and
(iii) Identification of environmental and other factors and settings that contribute to or predict the occurrence, nonoccurrence, and maintenance of the behavior over time.
(6) "IEP" means an individual education program as defined and developed in accordance with COMAR 13A.05.01.
(7) "IEP team" has the meaning stated in COMAR 13A.05.01.
(8) Mechanical Restraint.
(a) "Mechanical restraint" means any device or material attached or adjacent to the student's body that restricts freedom of movement or normal access to any portion of the student's body and that the student cannot easily remove.
(b) "Mechanical restraint" does not include a protective or stabilizing device.
(9) "Nonpublic school" means a school that receives funds from the Department for the purpose of providing special education and related services to students with disabilities in accordance with COMAR 13A.09.10.
(10) "Parent" has the meaning stated in COMAR 13A.05.01.
(11) Physical Restraint.
(a) "Physical restraint" means the use of physical force, without the use of any device or material, that restricts the free movement of all or a portion of a student's body.
(b) "Physical restraint" does not include:
(i) Briefly holding a student to calm or comfort the student;
(ii) Holding a student's hand or arm to escort the student safely from one area to another;
(iii) Moving a disruptive student who is unwilling to leave the area if other methods such as counseling have been unsuccessful; or
(iv) Intervening in a fight in accordance with Education Article §7-307, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(12) "Positive behavior interventions, strategies, and supports" means the application of affirmative school-wide and individual student specific actions, instruction, and assistance to encourage educational success.
(13) Protective or Stabilizing Device.
(a) "Protective or stabilizing device" means any device or material attached or adjacent to the student's body that restricts freedom of movement or normal access to any portion of the student's body for the purpose of enhancing functional skills, preventing self-injurious behavior, or ensuring safe positioning of a person.
(b) "Protective or stabilizing device" includes:
(i) Adaptive equipment prescribed by a health professional, if used for the purpose for which the device is intended by the manufacturer;
(ii) Seat belts; or
(iii) Other safety equipment to secure students during transportation in accordance with the public agency or nonpublic school transportation plan.
(14) "Public agency" has the meaning stated in COMAR 13A.05.01.
(15) "Restraint" means the use of a physical or mechanical restraint.
(16) "School personnel" means an individual employed by a public agency or nonpublic school as defined in this chapter.
(17) "Seclusion" means the confinement of a student alone in a room from which the student is physically prevented from leaving.
(18) "Student with a disability" has the meaning stated in COMAR 13A.05.01.