(1) For the purpose of this regulation, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
(2) Terms Defined.
(a) “Department-approved kindergarten readiness assessment” means the kindergarten readiness assessment developed and approved by the Department for the purpose of measuring school readiness.
(b) “Representative sample” means a sample of sufficient size to produce valid and reliable assessment information on all and major subgroups of students in the local school systems as of the first day of school and as identified by the Department.
B. Representative Sample Assessment Process.
(1) Each school year, each local school system shall complete the administration of the Department-approved kindergarten readiness assessment to the representative sample in the following areas:
(a) Social development;
(b) Language and literacy skills;
(c) Academic knowledge in mathematics, science, and social studies; and
(d) Physical development.
(2) The Department shall provide each local school system with the representative sample identified for the local school system by the Department for assessment.
(3) The Department shall report the results of the representative sample assessment to local school systems in a format developed by the Department.
C. Full-Census Assessment Process.
(1) A local county board of education or a principal and a teacher who are in mutual agreement may decide to assess all students entering kindergarten in a school year using the Department-approved kindergarten readiness assessment.
(2) The superintendent of a local school system shall notify the Department that:
(a) The local county board of education has decided to conduct a full census assessment of all students in all kindergarten classes; or
(b) A principal and teacher in a school in the local school system have agreed to conduct a full census assessment of all students in that teacher’s kindergarten class.
(3) A teacher who is administering a full census assessment shall complete the assessment on or before October 1 of the school year.
(4) The Department shall return to the local school system the aggregate results of the full census assessment within 45 days after the administration of the assessment.
D. Publication of Results of Assessments. The Department shall publish and disseminate to local school systems the aggregated assessment information no later than November 15 of each year.