A. Each local school system shall provide in public schools a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary environmental literacy program infused within current curricular offerings and aligned with the Maryland Environmental Literacy Standards.
B. The Maryland Environmental Literacy Program shall:
(1) Provide a developmentally appropriate instructional program with opportunities for outdoor learning experiences;
(2) Advance students’ knowledge, confidence, skills, and motivation to make decisions and take actions that preserve and protect the unique natural resources of Maryland and of the Chesapeake Bay and its watershed; and
(3) Provide for the diversity of student needs, abilities, and interests at the early, middle, and high school learning years and shall include all of the Maryland Environmental Literacy Standards as set forth in §C of this regulation.
C. Maryland Environmental Literacy Standards.
(1) Environmental Issue Investigation and Action. Environmentally literate students investigate environmental issues in order to develop and implement local actions that protect, sustain, or restore the natural environment.
(2) Human Dependence on Earth Systems and Natural Resources. Environmentally literate students construct and apply understanding of how Earth’s systems and natural resources support human existence.
(3) Environmental Impact of Human Activity. Environmentally literate students construct and apply understanding of the environmental impact of human activities on Earth’s systems and resources.
(4) Consequences of Environmental Change on Human Health and Well-Being. Environmentally literate students construct and apply understanding of the consequences of human-induced environmental change on individual and collective health and well-being.
(5) Individual and Collective Responses to Environmental Change. Environmentally literate students construct and apply understanding of individual, collective, and societal responses to human-induced environmental change.
D. Each local school system shall establish a support system to enable teachers and administrators to engage in high quality professional development in content knowledge, instructional materials, and methodology related to environmental literacy.
E. Student Participation. All students shall have the opportunity to participate in the comprehensive environmental literacy program required by this chapter.