A. Each local school system shall:
(1) Provide in public schools an instructional program in physical education each yearwith sufficient frequency and duration to meet the requirements of the State curriculum for all students in grades prekindergarten8; and
(2) Offer in public schools a physical education program in grades 912 which enables students to meet graduation requirements and to select physical education electives.
B. Maryland Physical Education Program.
(1) The physical education comprehensive instructional program shall provide a developmentally appropriate, instructional program that advances the studentís knowledge, confidence, skills, and motivation to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
(2) The comprehensive instructional program shall provide for the diversity of student needs, abilities, and interests at the early, middle, and high school learning years, and shall include all of the following Maryland Physical Education Content Standards with related indicators and objectives as set forth in §C of this regulation.
(3) The instructional program, as it applies to grades 912, shall provide instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator if not otherwise offered in the comprehensive health education program.
C. Maryland Physical Education Content Standards. Students shall:
(1) Demonstrate competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns;
(2) Apply knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics related to movement and performance;
(3) Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness;
(4) Exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others; and
(5) Recognize the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and social interaction.
D. Curriculum Documents.Consistent with Education Article, §§2-205(h) and 7-409, Annotated Code of Maryland, each local school system shall provide comprehensive physical education curriculum documents for the elementary and secondary schools under its jurisdiction that:
(1) Include the content standards set forth in §C of this regulation; and
(2) Align with the State Curriculum, as developed by the Maryland State Department of Education in collaboration with the local school systems.
E. The local school system shall develop guidelines and procedures for the support of qualified teachers. Each local school system shall establish planned and continuous programs as required to adequately train its teachers, administrators, supervisors, and personnel in order to update knowledge, instructional materials, and methodology in physical education.
F. Student Participation. Each student shall have the opportunity to participate in the comprehensive physical education program required by this chapter.