A. Local school system superintendents may exempt specific schools from the requirement to identify a significant number of gifted and talented students.
B. Beginning September 1, 2019, local school systems shall report in their consolidated local Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan:
(1) The process for identifying gifted and talented students;
(2) The number of gifted and talented students identified in each school;
(3) The percentage of gifted and talented students identified in the local school system;
(4) The schools that have been exempted from identification of a significant number of gifted and talented students and the rationale;
(5) The continuum of programs and services; and
(6) Data-informed goals, targets, strategies, and timelines.
C. Beginning September 1, 2019, the Maryland State Department of Education shall:
(1) Facilitate a peer-review of local school systemsí gifted and talented identification, programs, and services every 3 years; and
(2) Submit an annual report on the status and progress of gifted and talented students in Maryland to the State Board of Education.