(1) The school bus body, including the cowl, hood, and fenders shall be painted a uniform color, National School Bus Yellow. If the window pilasters are visible after the window is installed they also shall be painted National School Bus Yellow. A chrome or manufacturer's gray grill is acceptable and the roof may be painted white. The white painted area may not extend below the top of the marker lights on the sides of the vehicle. The front and rear caps may not be painted white.
(2) Body trim, on the exterior of the body, including the bumpers, the emergency door arrow, lamp hoods, and the lettering on the front, rear, and both sides of the body, shall be black. Yellow numbers on the front bumper are acceptable.
(3) Rub rails, seat line, and snow rails shall be painted glossy black.
(4) Wheel rims shall be black, gray, or silver.
B. Required Lettering.
(1) The lettering described in this section is required and shall be black, block type, and placed according to the appropriate diagrams in Figures 1 through 6.
(2) "SCHOOL BUS".
(a) The body of the vehicle shall bear the words "SCHOOL BUS" in capital letters 8 inches by 1 inch, on both the front and rear of the body. This lettering:
(i) Shall be placed as high as possible without impairment of its visibility; and
(ii) May be on a reflective area 12 inches by 49 inches.
(b) The 12-inch by 49-inch background area may be reduced in size to conform to the contours of the vehicle.
(3) The words "EMERGENCY DOOR" or "EMERGENCY EXIT" in capital letters shall be 2 inches high painted above the door and above the emergency push-out windows, both inside and outside the vehicle.
(4) "Operating of Emergency Door or Exit Latch" shall be indicated by a 6-inch high by 3/4-inch wide black arrow indicating direction or release of the door or exit, inside and outside.
(5) The identification number shall be 6 inches high by 3/4 inch wide, shall be on all four sides of the vehicle and shall be visible directly from the front, rear, and each side. On the rear of the vehicle, the identification number shall be located above the rear bumper and below the window line. Temporary signage or numbers shall be placed in the second window on the lower glass on each side of the vehicle.
(6) If applicable, the name of the local school system shall be on both sides of the vehicle, properly centered, in letters 6 inches high by 1 inch wide.
(7) Contractors' and private owners' or operators' names shall be to the rear of the entrance door and at the same approximate location on the left side in letters 2-1/23 inches high by 1/41/2 inch wide in a 16 inch by 30 inch area.
C. The following lettering may be used, if required or desired:
(1) Address and telephone number of owner, placed to the rear of entrance door and at the same approximate location on the left side, in letters 2-1/23 inches high by 1/41/2 inch wide;
(2) "STOP ON SIGNAL", in letters 4 inches high below the rear window; and
(3) Body manufacturer's name or logo, in letters placed in an area 8 inches by 24 inches above the first passenger window on each side of the vehicle.
D. Only signs and lettering approved by State law or regulation and any numbers necessary for identification shall appear on the vehicle. Bumper stickers are not permitted. The fleet number may be on the front bumper.
E. A vehicle titled and registered after April 2002 shall comply with all lettering size and location requirements. If buses are repainted, they shall be relettered in compliance with this regulation.
F. Lettering shall be painted or applied using vinyl die cut self-adhering letters and numbers.
G. "Drug Free School Zone" Lettering.
(1) If desired, "Drug Free School Zone" may be on the exterior of the vehicle.
(2) The lettering shall be:
(a) Located under the first window on the service door side or at another approved location near the service door; and
(b) 2 inches high by 3/8 inch wide.
(3) A decal for the "Drug Free School Zone" may be used provided the background is National School Bus Yellow and the decal is not larger than 8 inches by 18 inches.
H. Yellow Reflective Tape. Yellow reflective tape at least 1 inch wide and not wider than 6-1/2 inches may be used to form a:
(1) Single horizontal line on each side of the bus at the floor line; or
(2) Rectangular figure on the rear of the bus body, which shall have its:
(a) Vertical lines as close to the sides of the bus as possible without extending over the sides of the bus, and
(b) Horizontal lines consisting of one straight line above and near the rear bumper and one at or near the roof line.
I. The reflective tape specified in §H of this regulation may be applied in a discontinuous fashion so as not to cover any existing or required lettering.
J. Roof Identification Number. Identification numbers on the roof may be used. If used, they shall be:
(1) Located in the most forward section of the roof as possible;
(2) Lettered from the left side to the right side of the bus; and
(3) 18 inches high by 10 inches wide with a 2-3/4 inch stroke.