A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Administration" means the Motor Vehicle Administration.
(2) "Commercial driver's license (CDL)" means a license issued to an individual in accordance with Transportation Article, Title 16, Subtitle 8, Annotated Code of Maryland, pursuant to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 which authorizes the individual to drive a class of commercial motor vehicle.
(3) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
(a) Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, inclusive of a towed unit;
(b) Has a (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds;
(c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
(d) Is of any size and is used for the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which requires the vehicle to be placarded under federal hazardous materials regulations, 49 CFR Part 172, Subpart F, which is incorporated by reference.
(4) "Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)" and "gross combination weight rating (GCWR)" means the greatest of the following weights for a single vehicle or combination of vehicles value specified by the manufacturer or manufacturers as the maximum gross vehicle weight rating:
(a) The value specified by the manufacturer or manufacturers as the maximum gross weight;
(b) The registered gross weight; or
(c) The actual weight.
(5) "Knowledge test" means a written, computer-assisted, or oral test which is administered to an applicant for a Maryland driver's license.
(6) "Skills test" means a driving test given to assess an applicant's ability to drive all motor vehicles in a specific class.