.04 Used Vehicles Sold by a Dealer.

A. An applicant for a certificate of title to be issued for a used vehicle sold by a dealer shall provide the Administration with:

(1) A properly assigned certificate of title or other acceptable ownership document from the jurisdiction in which the vehicle was last registered;

(2) A completed application for a certificate of title;

(3) A dealer's reassignment or reassignments;

(4) A dealer's bill of sale;

(5) Except for §C(14) of this regulation, a Maryland safety inspection certificate; and

(6) An odometer disclosure certification as required by COMAR 11.13.06.

B. Instead of a dealer's bill of sale, Maryland dealers may complete the purchase price certification on the application for a certificate of title or dealer's reassignment.

C. The Administration shall refuse to issue a certificate of title if:

(1) The required documents are not furnished or the information is incomplete;

(2) The seller's or applicant's signature is signed by an individual to whom power of attorney is granted and the writing granting the power of attorney is not furnished;

(3) The applicant is a trust and the trust agreement naming the trust and designating the trustee or trustees is not furnished;

(4) A transaction involves a bankruptcy and a copy of the court appointment for the bankruptcy trustee is not furnished;

(5) A transaction involves a legal dependent and a copy of a court appointment for the legal guardian is not furnished;

(6) An error or alteration in the documents furnished has occurred and a letter of explanation or certified statement does not clarify the error oralteration to the satisfaction of the Administration;

(7) The lien holder to be recorded is someone other than a dealer or bona fide lending institution and a lien contract is not furnished;

(8) The vehicle is an unrecovered stolen vehicle and a letter from the insurance company requesting issuance of a title in order to satisfy the claim is not furnished;

(9) Certain documents are lost or omitted and the applicant fails to furnish:

(a) A letter of indemnification which is subject to the approval of the Administration; and

(b) Photocopies of the lost documents;

(10) The owner or purchaser is deceased and the personal representative, legatee, distributee, legal heir, or surviving spouse has not provided:

(a) Letters of administration/testamentary;

(b) A legal heir form; or

(c) A death certificate;

(11) For a mobile home, a receipt from the Compliance Division of the Comptroller of the Treasury, which shows that the retail sales tax has been paid on a mobile home sold before January 1, 1989, is not furnished;

(12) The vehicle is an import and the following documents are not furnished:

(a) One of the following:

(i) Appropriate U.S. Customs forms; or

(ii) If imported by a member of the U.S. military, Form DD788 or DD1252, and a copy of military orders or a Maryland driver's license; and

(b) If the vehicle does not comply with U.S. Department of Transportation or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requirements:

(i) Receipts for conversion work; or

(ii) A bond release letter;

(13) The vehicle was subject to a security interest and a proper termination statement is not furnished:

(a) On a Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing form;

(b) On a title;

(c) On a letter on the lien holder's letterhead; or

(d) By electronic transmission from an approved vendor;

(14) Except for trucks with a gross vehicle weight of 1 ton or more, truck tractors, and freight trailers, which Maryland dealers may sell without an inspection, the vehicle was sold by a Maryland dealer and the:

(a) Vehicle's most current safety inspection is over 6 months old;

(b) Vehicle has traveled more than 1,000 miles since the inspection certificate was issued; or

(c) Vehicle was sold uninspected for dismantling or rebuilding and the dealer has not furnished a statement to indicate that the vehicle was sold for dismantling or rebuilding;

(15) The ownership document is a salvage certificate from this State or another state and the inspection by a police officer in this State who is authorized to inspect salvage vehicles has not been furnished;

(16) The applicant has requested a replacement VIN but has not:

(a) Furnished an application for an assigned VIN; or

(b) Had a VIN inspection completed by an authorized police officer in this State; or

(17) The ownership document is a salvage certificate branded "Not Rebuildable — Parts Only — Not To Be Retitled".