A. Inspection shall consist of operation and presence of catches and safety catches, insuring that the hood covers at least the top part of the engine compartment; and if equipped with an air scoop or bubble, it does not extend higher than 1/3 the vertical height of the windshield.
|Procedures:||Reject Vehicle If:|
|(1) Open hood and inspect safety catch for proper operation. Close hood and inspect for proper full closure. Manually inspect latch or remote control for proper operation (if engine is rear mounted, make a similar inspection of engine compartment and hood door). Stud and safety pin-type latch are acceptable provided pressure is necessary to remove the pin from the stud. If tilt cab vehicle, inspect locking and safety mechanism of the cab.||
(1) Hood does not cover at least the top of the engine compartment (full hood is required on school vehicles).
(2) Air scoop or bubble is higher than 1/3 the vertical height of the windshield.
(3) Hood latch and keeper not original equipment or equivalent.
(4) Hood is not equipped with a proper operating safety latch.
(2) Inspect for height of air scoop or bubble.
(3) On vehicles where the engine extends inside the vehicle, the interior engine cover shall be inspected for proper sealing.
|(5) Latch and release mechanism of hood, engine cover, or tilt cab is broken, missing, or improperly adjusted, preventing the hood from being opened or closed, the engine cover from being removed or replaced or the tilt cab from being raised or lowered.|
|(6) Interior engine cover is not properly sealed to prevent the entrance of engine fumes or exhaust gages into the vehicle.|
Figure 33HOOD SCOOP HEIGHT.