A. Outside Mirrors. Every vehicle shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side providing a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear. Every school vehicle shall be equipped with at least one convex mirror, not less than 7-1/2 inches in diameter, which shall be firmly mounted on the left front corner forward of the seated driver so that he may observe a reflection of the road from the front bumper to a point where direct observation is possible. One outside rearview mirror on each side of a school vehicle shall be mounted forward of the driver's seat and have an area not less than 50 square inches (minimum 5 inches wide by 10 inches high). Additionally on school vehicles manufactured after December 31, 1972, there shall be on each side of the vehicle a convex mirror of not less than 20 square inches of reflective surface. The convex mirrors may be incorporated in the plain rearview mirror provided the plain view reflective area is not reduced, or they may be mounted independently. Either type shall be independently adjustable.
|Procedures||Reject Vehicle If:|
(1) Rearview Mirror or Mirrors: From the driver's position, visually inspect all exterior mirrors for a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear. Look for correct location, stable mounting, cracks, sharp edges, unnecessary protrusions, ease of adjustment and ability to hold an adjustment.
(2) Outside Crossview Mirror: (convex) (applicable to school vehicles only): From the driver's seat visually inspect the exterior crossview mirror for unobstructed view of area forward of seated driver which is not directly observable.
(a) Is missing (when required);
(b) Mounting is loose so that rear vision is impaired;
(c) Is obscured by windshield pillar or unwiped portion of the windshield;
(d) Is cracked, pitted, or clouded to the extent that rear vision is obscured;
(e) Does not provide an unobstructed view to the rear;
(f) Cannot be adjusted or will not hold an adjustment;
(g) Does not meet minimum size requirements (school vehicles only).
B. Inside Mirrors. Every vehicle shall be equipped with an inside rearview mirror except as noted in §B(1) and (2). The inside rearview mirror shall be clear view glass and adjustable, and provide a clear stable reflected view 200 feet to the rear. School vehicles shall be equipped with a mirror 6 inches by 30 inches, metal backed, framed with rounded corners, and firmly mounted as far forward as possible, and provide a clear stable reflected view of the road surface to the rear of the vehicle for a continual distance beginning not more than 200 feet to the rear.
|Procedures||Reject Vehicle If:|
Interior Rearview Mirror:
(1) From the driver's position, visually inspect interior mirror for proper mounting, location, cracks, sharp edges, ease of adjustment and ability to hold an adjustment.
(2) If vehicle is originally designed or constructed so that the view through an inside rearview mirror is obstructed, or the vehicle is equipped with tinting, stickers, etc., on the window behind the driver, the inside rearview mirror is not required. However, the vehicle shall be equipped with outside rearview mirrors on both sides (not applicable to school vehicles).
(1) Is missing (when required);
(2) Mounting is loose so that rear vision is impaired;
(3) Is cracked, pitted, or clouded to the extent that rear vision is obscured;
(4) Does not provide an unobstructed view to the rear;
(5) Cannot be adjusted or will not hold an adjustment;
(6) Does not meet minimum size requirements (school vehicles only).