A. This regulation does not apply to a:
(1) Class K (farm area) vehicle as defined in Transportation Article, §13-935, Annotated Code of Maryland;
(2) Class E (truck) vehicle registered or capable of being registered under Transportation Article, §13-917, Annotated Code of Maryland, if the vehicle manufacturer's original design specifications for bed enclosures have not been altered to increase the vehicle's load carrying capacity;
(3) Construction vehicle working within the confines of a public works construction work project site as outlined in the construction project's plans and specifications, provided the distance traveled does not exceed 1 mile or the distance specified in an extension granted by the Maryland Department of Transportation;
(4) Construction vehicle or mining equipment while crossing a highway between construction or mining sites; or
(5) Vehicle, within the Port of Baltimore for a distance not to exceed 1 mile, carrying a load of loose material between a stockpile or storage facility and a vessel docked at the Port.
B. This regulation applies to a:
(1) Vehicle registered or capable of being registered under Transportation Article, §13-917, on which the manufacturer's original design specifications for bed enclosures have been altered to increase the vehicle's load;
(2) Part of the load touching any bed enclosure which is within 6 inches of the top of the enclosure that it touches; or
(3) Part of the load which is higher than any of the enclosures.
C. After January 1, 1992, any vehicle on which the manufacturer's original design specification for bed enclosures has been altered to increase the vehicle's load capacity shall have the load covered with a firmly attached canvas or similar type covering regardless of how the vehicle is loaded.
D. The requirements of this regulation apply only to the issuance and certification of a safety equipment repair order and do not apply to a complete inspection required upon sale or transfer of ownership of a used vehicle. A safety equipment repair order may be certified only if the cover is present, fully covers the top of the bed, and meets the requirements of this regulation.
|Procedures:||Reject Vehicle If:|
|(1) Inspect cover for presence and size.||(1) Cover is not present or does not fully cover the top of the vehicle bed.|
|(2) Inspect cover for holes, rips, tears, or broken mesh.||(2) Cover contains holes, rips, tears, or broken mesh which would permit any part of the load to blow, fall, or spill from the bed.|
|(3) Inspect cover for proper mounting.||(3) Cover in not securely attached to the bed.|
|(4) Inspect securement hardware for presence and condition.||(4) Securement hardware is missing, broken, or damaged.|