A. In this regulation, “dealer registration plate” means an interchangeable metal license plate used by licensed vehicle dealers, manufacturers, distributors, and factory branches.
B. Display of Dealer Registration Plates by Licensed Dealers.
(1) A dealer registration plate may be displayed on a vehicle owned by a licensed dealer and used mainly for the dealer’s business purposes.
(2) A dealer registration plate may be displayed on a vehicle not owned by a licensed dealer, but in the possession of the dealer, if the dealer has the consent of the owner of the vehicle to this use.
(3) An owner, partner, or officer of the corporation who is listed on the application for a vehicle dealer’s license or any employee of the dealership may operate a vehicle displaying a dealer registration plate, subject to the other conditions of this regulation.
(4) A dealer registration plate may be displayed on a vehicle owned by the dealership and operated by a prospective buyer for demonstration purposes for a period of not more than 10 days, provided the prospective buyer has written authorization from the dealership for any use of the vehicle exceeding 1 day.
(5) A dealer registration plate may be displayed on a vehicle owned by the dealership and loaned to an educational institution as set forth in Transportation Article, §13-621, Annotated Code of Maryland.
C. Issuance of Dealer Registration Plates by the Administration.
(1) Dealers may apply to the Administration for the issuance of dealer registration plates.
(2) The Administration may issue up to five dealer registration plates to each licensed dealer in addition to two additional registration plates for each licensed salesman, upon payment of the required fee as set forth in COMAR 11.11.05.
(3) For good cause shown, the Administration may issue additional dealer registration plates upon application of the dealer.