A. Fees for Driver and Vehicle Records. The fees for individual driver and vehicle records shall be as set forth in COMAR 11.11.05.06.
B. Fees for Copies of Records Requested Under the Maryland Public Information Act.
(1) The fee schedule for copying records is as follows.
(a) Black and White Copies. The fee for each black and white copy of a noncertified record is 3.5 cents per page if reproduction is made by a photocopying machine within the Administration.
(b) Color Copies. The fee for each color copy of a noncertified record is 15 cents per page if reproduction is made by a photocopying machine within the Administration.
(c) Certified Copies. If an applicant requests a certified record, an additional fee of $3 per record shall be charged.
(d) Other Reproductions. If records are not susceptible to photocopying (for example, punch cards, magnetic tapes, blueprints, and microfilm), the fee for copies shall be based on the actual cost of reproduction.
(e) Minimum Fee Charged. A charge may not be made if the total amount of the fee is less than $10.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, if the fees for copies, printouts, other reproductions, or certified copies of any record are specifically prescribed by a law or regulation other than the Act or this regulation, the prescribed fee shall be charged.
(3) Before copying a record, the custodian shall estimate the cost of reproduction and obtain prepayment of any estimated fee before reproducing the record.
C. Fees for Search and Retrieval of Records Requested Under the Maryland Public Information Act.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, the official custodian may charge reasonable fees for officials’ or employees’ time expended searching for requested records or for any time expended preparing records for inspection and copying.
(2) The official custodian may not charge any search or preparation fee for the first 2 hours of official or employee time needed to respond to a request for information.
(3) The fee schedule for search and preparation is as follows:
(a) Computer Programming and Retrieval. The fee for computer programming and electronic retrieval of records is $250 per hour.
(b) Clerical. The fee for clerical time expended for search and retrieval of documents is $30 per hour.
D. Waiver of Fees.
(1) Upon request, the official custodian may waive or reduce any fee charged pursuant to the regulation if:
(a) When requesting an individual’s own driving record, the individual displays identification acceptable to the Administration; or
(b) When requesting all other records, the custodian determines that the waiver or reduction is in the public interest, considering, among other relevant factors, the ability of the applicant to pay the cost or fee.
(2) Records for Government Agencies.
(a) On request, the Administration may provide certified or noncertified records to government agencies without charge.
(b) The Administration may provide up to five records to government agency representatives who provide official identification at the time of making the request.
(c) Multiple Requests. Requests from government agencies for more than five records without charge shall be made on the agency’s letterhead, and shall be addressed to the Motor Vehicle Administration, Custodian of Records, 6601 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, Maryland 21062.
E. If the applicant requests that copies be mailed or delivered to the applicant, the custodian may charge the applicant for the cost of postage or delivery to the applicant.