A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Authority” means the Maryland Transportation Authority.
(2) “Authority highway” has the meaning stated in Transportation Article, §21-1401, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(3) “Dynamic pricing” means a method of calculating the toll where the dynamic pricing mileage rate varies within the approved toll rate range in real time.
(4) “Dynamic pricing mileage rate” means the amount per mile used to calculate the toll within the approved toll rate range on a variably priced facility with dynamic pricing.
(5) “Executive Director” means the Executive Director of the Maryland Transportation Authority.
(6) “Fee” means an electronic toll collection account maintenance fee.
(7) “Fixed-price toll facility” means an Authority highway where vehicles are subject to a toll that remains constant over time until the toll schedule is changed consistent with the provisions of this chapter.
(8) “Pricing period” means the hours of the day, or portions thereof, and days of the week or special days such as holidays during which a time of day pricing mileage rate is in effect on a variably priced toll facility.
(9) “Time of day pricing” means a method of calculating the toll where the toll varies according to a fixed, advertised schedule depending on the time of day pricing mileage rate in effect for a pricing period and toll zone.
(10) “Time of day pricing mileage rate" means the amount per mile used to calculate the tolls on a variably priced toll facility with time of day pricing.
(11) “Toll” means the charge due as established by the Authority for passage of a vehicle through an Authority highway.
(12) “Toll facility operator” means a third party other than the Authority authorized to operate a toll facility under a contract.
(13) “Toll rate range” means the approved minimum and maximum toll rates as approved by the Authority.
(14) “Toll zone” means the area between two access points used to calculate the toll on a variably priced toll facility.
(15) “Tolling algorithm” means an automated program or mathematical formula that utilizes real-time traffic data, predicted traffic patterns, any other selected data points or information, or any combination to adjust dynamic pricing mileage rates.
(16) “Variably priced toll facility” means an Authority highway or transportation facilities project where travel on some or all lanes is subject to a toll that varies based on time of day pricing or dynamic pricing.