A. Words not specifically defined in this regulation which relate to aeronautical practices, processes, and equipment, will be construed according to their general usage in the aviation industry.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Abandon" means forsake, desert, give up and surrender one's claim or right.
(2) "Administration" means the Maryland Aviation Administration of the Department of Transportation, established pursuant to the Transportation Article, §5-201, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(3) "Aircraft" means any contrivance now known or hereafter designed, invented, or used for navigation or flight in the air or space, except a parachute or other contrivance used primarily as safety equipment.
(4) "Air operations area" means any area of the Airport used or intended to be used for landing, taking off, or surface maneuvering of aircraft.
(5) "Airport" means Martin State Airport, owned by the State and operated by the Maryland Aviation Administration, as now existing or as the same may hereafter be developed.
(6) "Airport Director" means the Airport Director, Maryland Aviation Administration, Martin State Airport, or the Airport Director's designated representative.
(7) "Authorized" means acting under or pursuant to a written contract, permit, or other evidence of right issued by the Maryland Aviation Administration.
(8) "Bus" means a motor vehicle operated by an appropriately authorized agency on a fixed route and predetermined schedule to and from the Airport.
(9) "Combustible liquid" means any liquid that has a closed cup flash point at or above 100°F.
(10) "Commercial activity" means the sale, exchange, trading, buying, merchandising, hiring, marketing, promotion, or selling of commodities, goods, services, or property of any kind, or any revenue-producing activity, on the Airport.
(11) "Control tower" means an air traffic control tower located at the Airport.
(12) "Courtesy car" means a car operated to and from the Airport by hotel, motel, public parking firms, car rental companies, or other business specifically for the transportation or convenience of their patrons or for the execution of any part of a private business transaction.
(13) "Curbside" means the curb of the roadway adjacent to the Terminal Building.
(14) "Department" means the Department of Transportation.
(15) "Domestic animal" means any animal of a species usually domesticated in the United States and customarily found in the home.
(16) "Executive Director" means the Executive Director of the Maryland Aviation Administration, whose office is established pursuant to Transportation Article, §5-202.1, Annotated Code of Maryland, or the Executive Director's duly authorized representative.
(17) Fire Marshal.
(a) "Fire marshal" means an individual from the Airport Fire Marshal's Office or a fire prevention inspector who is employed by the BWI Airport Fire and Rescue Department.
(b) "Fire marshal" includes any designated representative of the State Fire Marshal's Office.
(18) "Fire Prevention Code" means the State Fire Prevention Code as defined in COMAR 29.06.01.
(19) "Flammable liquids" means any liquidthat has a closed cup flash point below 100°F.
(20) "Garbage" means any refuse, food, trash, or rubbish.
(21) "Grounding or bonding" means providing a conductive path to equalize the potential static electricity between fueling equipment and aircraft by use of a cable.
(22) "IBC" has the meaning stated in COMAR 05.02.07.03B(7).
(23) "Industrial waste" means any waste product, liquid, gaseous, or solid, derived from industrial activity.
(24) "Labeled" means equipment or materials to which has been attached a label, symbol, or other identifying mark of an organization:
(a) That is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and is concerned with product evaluation;
(b) That maintains periodic inspection of production of labeled equipment or materials; and
(c) By whose labeling the manufacturer indicates compliance with appropriate standards or performance in a specified manner.
(25) "Law enforcement officer" means any person vested with a police power of arrest under federal, State, county, or city authority, and identifiable by uniform, badge, or other indicia of authority.
(26) "Limousine" means any motor vehicle having a rated seating capacity of six or more persons, not including the driver, operating to and from the Airport according to a valid certificate issued by the appropriate governmental agency.
(27) "Listed" means equipment, materials, or services included in a list published by an organization:
(a) That is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation of products or services;
(b) That maintains periodic inspection of production of listed equipment or materials; and
(c) Whose listing states that either the equipment, material, or service meets identified standards or has been tested and found suitable for a specified purpose.
(28) "Motor vehicle" means a device in, upon, or by which a person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon land, except a device moved by human or animal power, and except aircraft and devices moved exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
(29) "Movement area" means the runways, taxiways, and other areas of the Airport that are used for the taxiing, takeoff, and landing of aircraft, except loading ramps and parking areas.
(30) "NFPA" has the meaning stated in COMAR 29.06.01.05B(5).
(31) "Officer" means a law enforcement officer.
(32) "Oil" means any substance of vegetable, animal, or mineral origin with an oily consistency, easily liquefiable on warming and soluble in ether but not in water.
(33) "Operator" means a person who is in actual physical control of an aircraft or a motor vehicle.
(34) "Owner" means a person who holds the legal title to an aircraft or motor vehicle; or, if the aircraft or motor vehicle is the subject of a conditional sale or lease with the right of purchase upon performance of the conditions stated in the agreement, and with the immediate right of possession of an aircraft or motor vehicle on the Airport, or, if a mortgagor of an aircraft or motor vehicle is entitled to the possession, then the conditional vendee, lessee, or mortgagor shall be considered the owner for the purpose of these regulations.
(35) "Parking lot" means any designated parking area such as employee and public areas, including parking structures.
(36) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, or joint stock association, and includes any trustee, receiver, committee, assignee, or other representative or employee thereof.
(37) "Regulations" means these regulations as they may be amended and supplemented from time to time.
(38) "Restricted area" means Airport areas with access limited to authorized persons only.
(39) "Solid waste" means any garbage, refuse, sludge, solid, liquid, semisolid, or contained gaseous materials which are by-products of commercial activity, as defined by COMAR 26.03.03 and 26.13.02.
(40) "State" means the State of Maryland.
(41) "Sunset" or "sunrise" means the time of sunset or sunrise at the Airport as published by the United States National Weather Service.
(42) "Taxicab" means any motor vehicle that carries persons for a fare, usually determined by a meter, and that is appropriately licensed as a taxicab by a proper governmental authority.
(43) "Terminal" or "terminal building" means any passenger terminal facility at the Airport, including all roadways and parking facilities associated with the facility.
(44) "Toxic material" means any material, liquid, gaseous, or solid substance, containing a poisonous agent.
(45) "Traffic" means pedestrians and vehicles, either singly or together, using any Airport area, while they are using it.
(46) "Weapon" means a gun, knife (other than a pocketknife, maximum 4-inch blade), blackjack, slingshot, metal knuckles, aerosol irritant projector, or any explosive device except when properly packaged for shipment.
(47) "Wild animal" means any animal of a species not usually domesticated in the United States or customarily found in the home.